• NS vs. BNSF

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by tenbaker

Which one is the overall better company to work for NS or BNSF, pros and cons, please be honest (seeking-conductor job)

by Delta

I don't think that's even a contest. BNSF hands down. In the spectrum of US Class I railroads, the BNSF is near if not at the top of the list of the best to work for whereas the NS is definitely at the bottom. The NS is widely known to be exceptionally heavy handed in discipline and I hear they don't have guaranteed extra boards. Don't forget they were the only railroad to force their employees defecate in plastic baggies. They haven't earned the nickname Nazi System for nothing.

by route_rock

Yeah BNSF hands down ( yes they sign the checks but hey)I like em we at least get the ability to empower ourselves and say I am not doing it it isnt safe. NS guys tell me they are afraid to report injuries so they can get that gold harriman award every year. Funny after that last big wreck they still got it?!? Kinda makes you wonder.

NS

by wolfe

So, NS is not the "Thoroughbred" they claim to be? I have an interview with them 12/01. I plan on attending AMDG's school for CSX in December. I am taking in that CSX gets the nod between the two?

by YQT

I'll tell you one thing, the inside of NS locos are fricken nasty, and dirty.

by jz441

There is a reason why NS employees call it "Nazi Southern"

Take BNSF and run!