• NS Operations out of Atlanta

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by daybyday

I already went through a hiring session for the NS about a year ago so I won't bore you with all the questions about what that involves. I interviewed at a terminal in another state and wasn't ready to move up there yet. Anyway, I'm more interested in what I'd be doing assuming I hire on in Atlanta.

1) What percentage of yard/local/road freight could I expect as a new hire?

2) Regarding the road freight out of Atlanta...how far north/east/south/west do you go & where would the AFHTs be? How much time is spent away from Atlanta lately?

3) Also curious as to were the crew start points are in Atlanta just to figure out if I would be within 90 minutes from where I currently live. Had some jobs in Atlanta where a 15 mile commute could take the better part of an hour.

4) Do Atlanta based conductors get borrowed out to other terminals very often? I'm assuming Atlanta is a bigger terminal with more jobs and would more likely be bringing in extra crews instead of sending them out.

5) I understand NS doesn't have guaranteed extra boards. From what I've read on these boards the upside to guar x boards is that when freight is slow you still get paid - the downside being that you more likely to get furloughed. Again, assuming since Atlanta is a bigger city with more freight traveling through it, furloughs wouldn't be as problematic as in a smaller terminal.

Thanks for this and any other advice - DBD
  by braves2905

I dont know if your still checking this post, but I'll reply anyhow.
IF you hire on in Atlanta, you will placed on the Atlanta Terminal Switchmen's Xtraboard, new hires are no longer placed on the North End Conductors Xtra Board (Road Service).
You will work Inman Yard, East Point, South Yard, Forrest Park, and when the road xtra board is exhausted, you will protect Austell Terminal and the main line to Chattanooga.
When I hired out, I got pretty good seniority, because they went on a hiring blitz and about 50 guys were under me. I bid out to the road, because I liked it more and the pay is slightly better. You run from Atl to Chattanooga, lay over and usuall get called out on your rest or slightly after to come back home.
Yard Service entails protecting jobs all over the Atl metro area and you will take at least 6 months of cubbing these jobs, before you are marked up. The ford plant is closing in hapeville, which means job losses for us. I was one of the rare people who liked both yard and road jobs. I went to school on Jan6 and was marked up early May, because I asked to be.
They have hired so many new CT's, I dont know where they are going to work. I marked up to the board with 5 guys on it, when I left for Amtrak, there was over 30.. NS doesn usually furlough men on the GA Division.
If you have any more questions, get in touch with me. Good luck.

by daybyday

braves2905,

Damn...good things do come to those who wait. That's exactly the info I was looking for. Unfortunately I already got the thanks, but no thanks email from NS.

As I posted on another thread, I'm gonna try the managemnt program at UP and possibly move out west. If that doesn't pan out, I might just resubmit my app for for NS's conductor postion in Atlanta and the surrounding areas.

Anyway, thanks for replying. I'm sure someone else might find it useful as well.

DBD

by braves2905

i dont know your exact credentials, but NS is recruiting Operations Supervisors, outside of their management trainee program. This is good if you do not have a college degree, I think the Santa Fe and UP might be doing the same thing. Sorry you didnt get the job, it seems like there is so much competition these days.