• NS Hiring Session

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by BigMike

Just what exactly happens at one of these hiring sessions? What types of tests etc?

by BigMike

I know this question was asked before but the question of what kinds of tests are given was not answered. Anyone?

by chrisjz

When you go to one of these hiring sessions you can expect to start off with a description of the job that usually causes half of the people there to leave. After that you will fill out a very detailed employment application on which you must include the past 10 years work, criminal and residence history. Once you have completed the application, you will take 2 tests; the first one is a math and reading comprehension exam which is timed. You usually have 15 minutes to complete as many of 80 questions as you can. They are not looking for you to finish the entire test, just get as many correct as you can. The second test is the personality assessment test. This is a test where they will ask you the same question 5 different ways to see if you answer consistently and you're not insane. If you score well on both tests and they like what you have listed on your application, you will be asked to stay for an interview. The interview is nothing special, just a 5 to 10 minute question and answer type thing. When the whole process is completed and they want to conditionally hire you, they will most likely call you within 24 hours and let you know you got the job, but you must pass a full background check to get any further. That is pretty much it in a nutshell. If I have left anything out, I'm sure someone will correct me.

by BigMike

Chris, thanks a ton! :-D

by BigMike

Math? What types of math problems will I see??

by chrisjz

One of the examples I can give you is something like shown below, see if you can find the pattern in each.

27-3-8-1-6-58-12-9-43-7-?

62-12-74-24-86-36-?

18-45-52-24-37-64-30-?

Included are also some classic elementary math problems but there are more of the type I listed above and they get increasingly difficult as you progress through them.

by BigMike

Thanks Chris. I just got back and didnt get to stay for the interview.

A strange thing occured today though. While we were out of the room waiting for the gentleman who gave us the test to finish grading them and also the local NS people were inside going over the apps. When they let us back in the room the guy doing the testing told us to have a seat and he said he was finishing up grading the tests. I watched as he graded about 6-7 remaining test. There was a stack of applications in front of him as he was doing this. When he finished grading the test he reached down and grabbed this stack and read off the names of those that supposedly passed the test and were staying for interviews. Now how would the test have a bearing on if you interviewed or not when it was apparent they had already made selections before he even finished grading them????

by chrisjz

I'm not sure about that at all. Maybe they had in mind who they wanted after reviewing the applications and graded those tests first, just a thought. Sorry to hear you didn't get to stay but maybe you'll get lucky next time, if you're serious keep trying.

by BigMike

Oh Yea, Im not giving up. Try and Try again! :-D

by cifn2

lol so did you make those numbers up or are those real problems? I don't know the answers lol

the center one would end the next set in *8