• NS detours west of Buffalo?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by videobruce

Anyone know of a derailment (or track) work, NS announced a high number of "detours" this AM (8/7) on lines west of Buffalo?
  by sd80mac

videobruce wrote:Anyone know of a derailment (or track) work, NS announced a high number of "detours" this AM (8/7) on lines west of Buffalo?
I think good # ran on CSX east of buffalo.

I1T is closing onto Buffalo as it ran through Hornell at 945 am
  by videobruce

Is this it?;
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=168164" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by videobruce

Funny, no one posted that fact here yesterday evening.
  by scottychaos

videobruce wrote:Funny, no one posted that fact here yesterday evening.
there have been endless threads about it, tons of discussion, every detour train discussed in detail..on facebook.
sadly (for these old traditional forums) 99% of railfan discussion has moved there..
this thread is a perfect example..no one is here anymore. :(

im not saying facebook is good or bad..it just is.
and it is literally why "no one posted that fact here yesterday evening."
it was being talked about plenty, just not here.

Scot
  by Matt Langworthy

You apparently missed the reference to the derailment and detours in the Southern Tier west end thread:

viewtopic.php?f=128&t=75134&start=1095" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by videobruce

Out of my territory. Not qualified. :wink:
  by nydepot

A bit unfortunate. Ever try to search and find something old on Facebook? At least here or Yahoo or groups.io, you can find stuff. I'm always looking for old content. No luck with Facebook.
scottychaos wrote:
there have been endless threads about it, tons of discussion, every detour train discussed in detail..on facebook.
sadly (for these old traditional forums) 99% of railfan discussion has moved there..
this thread is a perfect example..no one is here anymore. :(

im not saying facebook is good or bad..it just is.
and it is literally why "no one posted that fact here yesterday evening."
it was being talked about plenty, just not here.

Scot
  by videobruce

I have absolutely NO interest on those 'gossip' sites. Childish, grade school tripe and plan idiotic, nothing more than an Internet version of the National Enquirer.

It's a sorry state of affairs the mentality is such that anyone would believe anything posted in either starting from the top down!
  by johnpbarlow

Actually there is often excellent content on many of the Railfan Facebook pages (eg, NS Southern Tier & D&H, Rochester Area, Pan Am) beyond just sightings discussions: photos, videos, recollection of history, etc. Occasionally there are silly disagreements but moderators are pretty good about dealing with that. I have yet to encounter anything that looks like fake news generated by Russian bots :wink: . Rants can appear anywhere - even on railroad.net!
  by scottychaos

videobruce wrote:I have absolutely NO interest on those 'gossip' sites. Childish, grade school tripe and plan idiotic, nothing more than an Internet version of the National Enquirer.

It's a sorry state of affairs the mentality is such that anyone would believe anything posted in either starting from the top down!

None of that is really true ;) or, more specifically, it doesn't have to be true..you can eliminate all those issues.
Facebook groups work the same as this group..just a lot more people, a lot more information, and you can keep tabs on several different groups/forums on one simple page. In many ways, its far more efficient and convenient than the old traditional groups..which is why FB groups have become so popular.

I just used facebook to find out where the NS OCS is..found the info in literally 5 seconds.
(Its in Bison yard, leaving Buffalo for Binghamton at 6am tomorrow)

If anyone has never used FB groups and wonders why they are so popular now, here is a thing I wrote up to help explain it:

http://forums.mylargescale.com/11-publi ... ost1086482" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scot
  by Matt Langworthy

I agree with John and Scot that Facebook is a useful medium. Among other things, my most recent train photos can be found there... and they are definitely not fake or tripe. I've also become friends with several current and former RR employees on FB. They have really helped my expand my knowledge of the RR business.

This is not a criticism of the message boards at railroad.net, railfan.net or jreb.org -which all have good historic content. With that being said, most railfans use social media now for posting real-time content. Love it or hate it, FB is an important tool for any railfan. There are ways to customize FB so you can avoid the petty drama and political arguments.
  by tree68

Back on topic - I've been in Deshler, OH for the past day or so, and NS has been a larger presence than usual.