• Norfolk Southern

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by ndtommy

I'm thinking about a career change and would like your opinion on Norfolk Southern. I've monitored this forum for the past couple of weeks and value any opinions on this. What is the good or the bad on this operation if I decide to be a conductor? Any recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks.
ndtommy

by cifn2

the bad is they don't guarantee you pay when you are on extra boards compared to other services.... You sit around all day waiting for a call and don't get paid for that day if you don't get called, other services have guarantee pay systems. You have to got to training in GA if that isn't a big issue then maybe it isn't but you are there a totaly of a few weeks I think. Down there then back where you hired, and then down there again, and home terminal area again.

by GN 599

cifn2 wrote:the bad is they don't guarantee you pay when you are on extra boards compared to other services.... You sit around all day waiting for a call and don't get paid for that day if you don't get called, other services have guarantee pay systems. You have to got to training in GA if that isn't a big issue then maybe it isn't but you are there a totaly of a few weeks I think. Down there then back where you hired, and then down there again, and home terminal area again.
NS dont have gauranteed extra boards? I thought all class 1's did.

by cifn2

nope learned right here myself they don't. The only one that doesn't!

by GN 599

A railroad that didnt have toilets on its locomotives until a few years ago not having guaranteed extra boards, what a shocker.

by conrail_engineer

From what I hear, things are getting better on the NS, just as they're getting rougher on CSX.

Might have to do with a certain former NS officer named Tony Ingram, who landed at CSX after having been canned by Norfolk.