• Norfolk Southern OST Program

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by flyguy

I just interviewed on Thursday for the Norfolk Souther Operations Supervisor Trainee program.

Does anyone here have any info/comments/suggestions about this program?

I am currently an airline ground operations manager. From the interview, it sounds like very similar to what I am doing.

Any comments would be appreciated!

by Jtgshu

best of luck to you!

by LCJ

Similar - yes - but different -- although many of the same skill sets are required for success: keeping to schedules, getting people to help you make that happen, struggling with wildly variable occurrences that are often out of your control, and dealing with superiors who believe they could have made much better decisions if they had been in your place when things didn't go as planned for one reason or another. Lots of responsibility, but often very little actual authority. Managing people well is critical, for sure.

If you've already handled this kind of environment well, then you should do fine at NS. Best wishes for a long, fruitful career.