• No More Montana Daylight

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

by Richard Y

I learned, from the Amtrak section, that the Montana Daylight (Montana Rockies Rail Tours) will not be running in 2005.

http://www.montanarailtours.com/

I was planning, at some point, taking their train excursion out of Sandpoint. I guess both revenue and insurance issues are major factors.

It is surprising that revenue would be a problem..I have gotten price quotes, on their various levels of service, and I can say the Montana Daylight is not cheap. The insurance problem is not a surprise.

They say issues of accessibility are something they will try to correct, if the train revives in 2006. That would be a good change, as a termination in Livingston, Mt, leaves one sort of isolated. Maybe a round-trip excursion out of Spokane or Sandpoint would be better.

The insurance problem really leaves me cold. Would it not be possible for passengers to sign some sort of waiver to help alleviate liability issues? What is next; will the Durango/Silverton or other steam train excursions soon be shutting down?

A sad situation.

Richard