• NJT pre-employment tests and terminals for T&E?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by jz441

Can someone tell me what does NJ Transit pre-employment test for T&E consist of?
Also, what are the on-duty points for T&E?
Thank you!

by thebigc

We've got terminals sprinkled all over North Jersey, plus Atlantic City. On the Hoboken Division we have:
  • Hoboken
    Gladstone
    Dover
    Port Morris
    Suffern, NY
    Spring Valley, NY
    Port Jervis, NY
The Newark Division consists of:
  • New York Penn Station
    County yard (New Brunswick)
    Trenton
    Morrisville, PA
    Long Branch
    Bay Head
    Raritan
    MMC (South Kearny)
    Atlantic City
I took the pre-employment test 20 years ago so I don't remember it well and I'm sure its changed since. Maybe one of the younger guys can help here.

by newjackRR

BIG C,

On the Hoboken side you left off one of my favorite sign up places Great Notch.

by Jtgshu

I took it a few years ago, it is basic math problems, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, nothing real hard.

there is also a section on reading charts adn graphs (to see if you can read a timetalble) there was also a word problem section where there is a story and questions that follow it about it. then i think there was a verbal part were you listened to instructions and had to do what htey say.

The test isn't real hard, but its long, and intimidating, but it really isn't that bad

good luck!

by thebigc

newjackRR wrote:On the Hoboken side you left off one of my favorite sign up places Great Notch.
Correct. I knew I'd forget one somewhere. Probably because outside of flagging, I've never worked there. Pain in the neck to get to 46W on the way home!

by newjackRR

Well I've been lucky enought to work out of there on jobs that work that horrible monster train 6210. Toady i got lucky and caught a extra service stone train job my 3rd one since coming out.

by jz441

Thank you for all the feedback. Since there is Hoboken and Newark division, are there only 2 extra boards, or does every terminal has its own extra board?

by Jtgshu

Not really - trainmen have a handful of extra boards

For Newark Division, there is New York, Trenton/Morrisville (they used to have 2 seperate lists, MV for crew assignemnts, Tre for ticket collectors, not sure if htey consolidated that or not) Atlantic City, Long Branch and a Utility list (mainly for yard/extra service work.

the Hoboken Divsion has 2 lists, Dover and Hoboken.

by jz441

Thank you Jtgshu!

So how does it work when you get called to protect a terminal that is not on your extra list? For example: If New York extra list got exhausted and they call first out rested out of Trenton to work a train out of New York. Are you entitled to additional deadhead time and auto miles?

by Jtgshu

You got it, you are paid additional deadhead time and car mileage. there is a large chart which states how much you are entitled for in deadhead and mileage to and from each of the different terminals. Very rarely do people get called from teh Newark Division to the Hoboken division jobs, but it does happen, but very rarely.

by newjackRR

There's no Dover list for Trainmen on the Hoboken Divison only for engineers. There was talk of starting one but it never happened.

by thebigc

Actually, there are four lists on the Hoboken division:
  • Hoboken Conductor's
    Hoboken Trainmen
    Hoboken Utility Conductor's
    Hoboken Utility Trainmen
The utility boards cover the non-passenger work first, then passenger while the other boards work vice-versa.

There used to be a Port Jervis list but that's been gone for many years now.

The carrier would like to force-feed us a Dover list like they did the engineers. Saves them a ton in DH money.

by Jtgshu

sorry about that.............i guess i was getting my TandE lists mixed up!!