• NJT Engineer/LETP Questions

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by hwyguy

Hi All,

Wondering if any current NJT employees could answer any of these questions.

What NJT does pay LE trainees when they are in the LETP? Also, what does NJT pay when the trainee becomes a full engineer once they complete the LETP?

What's the average salary of a NJT engineer? 60s? 70s? What's top pay and how long does it take to get there?

Finally, how long do most engineers stay on the extra board, and how do they work the ACL with extras? Does the 4 hour rule cover someone in No jersey who is called for an ACL run?

Thanks!

-h

by frank502

hwyguy

Check your PM in box.

by Steve F45

how often does NJT hire new conductors/engineers?

by jz441

How many engineers and conductors does NJT have, and hwo is the operator?
Is it Transit America?

Thank you!

by Jtgshu

NJT operates its own lines, and own trains, with its own employees - they are not contracted out

There is approx 1100 trainmen and approx 400 engineers

lots of info at www.njtransit.com

by jz441

I was wandering if NJT hires class I engineers from other railroads, or do they promote within?
Thank you!

by thebigc

They do hire off of other outfits but you'd still have to go through our choo choo U program. This is due to a few "engineers" hired off other outfits who turned out to have dubious backgrounds and basically unsubstantiated experience.

by jz441

That makes perfect sense. I am definitely not qualified on any of the territory that NJT runs on, and I am not NORAC qualified. Every railroad has its own set of rules, and its own way of running the show.

Thanks "thebigc"!

by thebigc

Not really alluding to NORAC and physical characteristics. What I mean is that even if you're an experienced freight or commuter/passenger engineer, you're gonna have to go through choo choo U anyhow. Like a new guy.

This wasn't always the case. In the late eighties, we hired quite a few guys off buyouts from freight carriers. All they had to do was qualify and take the book of rules and they were marked up.

by jz441

thebigc wrote:Not really alluding to NORAC and physical characteristics. What I mean is that even if you're an experienced freight or commuter/passenger engineer, you're gonna have to go through choo choo U anyhow. Like a new guy.
Wow! That is qute different. How long is the training program? Is the training rate of pay lower than the rate of pay for an already marked up engineer?
Thank you!

by thebigc

jz441 wrote: Wow! That is qute different. How long is the training program? Is the training rate of pay lower than the rate of pay for an already marked up engineer?
Thank you!
I believe its 90% of full rate and the class is 15 months.

by jz441

90% is not bad at all.. :-D I did hear that you guys have an excelent agreement.

Thank you bigc!

by Jtgshu

The rate of pay is approx 80 percent of full pay, and class is anywhere between approx 15 adn 18 months, depending on things and disruptions that may occur during the training period, and now quickly you get through your check rides with the road foreman on the lines, and other things that may pop up over nearly a year and a half.

There is a raise somewhere later on during the course of the program i think it brings it up to 90 percent.

by thebigc

Jtgshu wrote:The rate of pay is approx 80 percent of full pay, and class is anywhere between approx 15 adn 18 months, depending on things and disruptions that may occur during the training period, and now quickly you get through your check rides with the road foreman on the lines, and other things that may pop up over nearly a year and a half.

There is a raise somewhere later on during the course of the program i think it brings it up to 90 percent.
I was hoping you'd find this thread so you could give us the straight skinny. Thanks, JTG.