• NJDOT Freight Rail Assistance

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Jeff Smith

From Progressive Railroading: New Jersey DOT provides $6.6 million for eight freight-rail projects
The state will provide:
• $1.56 million to SMS Rail Service Inc. for the "Pureland" upgrade (railroad's share is $173,783);
• $1.35 million to Salem County's short line to rehabilitate track (railroad's share is $150,000);
• $999,166 to JP Rail, doing business as Southern Railroad Co. of N.J., to rehabilitate a Pleasantville secondary track to FRA Class 2 standards (railroad's share is $111,018);
• $875,032 to the New York, Susquehanna & Western Railroad Corp. (NYSW) to rehabilitate a main track between Butler and Stockholm (railroad's share is $97,226);
• $609,750 to Morris County for Dover and Rockaway repairs (railroad share is $67,750);
• $513,585 to the Winchester & Western Railroad for the Seashore Branch runaround (railroad's share is $57,065);
• $482,069 to NYSW to build a 2,241-foot siding (railroad's share is $53,563); and
• $202,500 to the Belvidere & Delaware River Railway for an advance track at three bridges.
  by pumpers

Why is it the Bel-Del at Three Bridges and not BLack River and Western? I think they are related, but they are at different locations... JS
  by wolfboy8171981

pumpers wrote:Why is it the Bel-Del at Three Bridges and not BLack River and Western? I think they are related, but they are at different locations... JS
Around 2004 or 2005 there was a STB filling that the Belvidere and Delaware River Railway a wholely owned subsidiary of the Black River and Western Corp. had assumed the freight service on the Black River and Western Railroad. Thus making the freight service on the Bel-Del line and the BR&W line operated by the Belvidere and Delaware River Railway (BDRV). All locomotives carry BDRV reporting marks except #752 and #60 (#60 is still owned by the Black River and Western Corp.)

So when applying for state funds for freight rail improvements the railroad in question is in fact the BDRV. The BRRHT d/b/a Black River and Western Railroad to continue the tradition of excusrion rail that was started in 1961.
  by greyhairedpete

Hey wolfy, what will the "advance track" be for? I'm assuming Aeropres cars?
  by RailsEast

A NJ shortline employee once mentioned to me that it can take 12-24 months for the state to send a check after an announcement such as this; anyone know if this is true?
  by bystander

Why does one railroad get another(!) milloin to fix track that they allreaday should have been taking care of but another line Cape May can't get any state money to fix track htat was destroyd by vandels? This doesnt seem very fair to me.
  by wolfboy8171981

bystander wrote:Why does one railroad get another(!) milloin to fix track that they allreaday should have been taking care of but another line Cape May can't get any state money to fix track htat was destroyd by vandels? This doesnt seem very fair to me.
Becasue they applied for it, and the other one did not.
  by Ken W2KB

wolfboy8171981 wrote:
bystander wrote:Why does one railroad get another(!) milloin to fix track that they allreaday should have been taking care of but another line Cape May can't get any state money to fix track htat was destroyd by vandels? This doesnt seem very fair to me.
Becasue they applied for it, and the other one did not.
The state grants are limited to railroads serving freight customers, to retain industry and hence jobs and tax revenue in NJ. Passenger operators as such are not eligible. If CMSL were to enter into an agreement with a freight customer, CMSL would be eligible to apply. Unfortunately, there apparently is no interest from industry in rail service along CMSL.