• NJ Transit conductors "perks"

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by amtbuff

Could anyone enlighten me to what are some of the perks to being a conductor/engineer for jersey transit. I have an interview next week so I would just like to know what its all about.

by Jtgshu

Pretty decent pay, excellent benefits, job security, fairly decent working conditions (your not hanging off a boxcar in the middle of a snow/rain storm), a tremendous amount of expansion in service, both in reality and on the planning boards, and most importantly (IMO, at least) home every night!

What more could you ask for?!?!? :-)

Good luck on the interview!

by newjackRR

I must agree it is a good job and the pay is pretty decent. Once you get hired you'll get a good amount of training, I am just a month shy of being with NJT a year as an Assistant Conductor aka Brakeman and I must say it has not been bad. The money at first is a little low I made more money with SEPTA as and AC but we worked 6 day jobs where and i was at top rate on NJT the jobs are 5 days, and it take you about 3 years to get to top pay rate.

Just remember when and if you get hired like my mentor told me just be where your supposed to be and be on time the hardest part of the job is just getting to work once your here everything eles is easy.