• Nimke Books?

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by Ale Rider

Hello-

What was the press run of this 3 volume set? I would like to get a copy of the set for myself and was wondering how hard these are to find.

when were they published?

Ed
  by Bernard Rudberg

The last time I talked to Nimke he had no more books and there were no plans to print any more.

If you are lucky enough to find a set at a train show you can expect to pay $450 or more for the set. I have not seen any for sale in a couple years.

Bernie Rudberg
  by laflamcs

A used bookstore near my workplace here in Williston Vermont has a MINT complete set of Nimke's Rutland books. The price is $1000 for the set, and the owner WILL NOT sell them separately. I have hounded him for a couple years now. He recently sold another complete set to a gentleman in England for $1200. Incredible.
  by b&m617

You could try ebay; haven't checked in a while. This is the definitive work for the CNE and the predecessor lines; full of incredible pictures that you won't find anywhere else. I got the last volume from Bob when he had 3 copies left. Good luck hunting!!

work safe
Derail :P

by boston774

FYI

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/offer- ... dition=all

I don't know who this fellow is, by the way, just saw this when looking for something else.

All three volumes, for ~ $450 total.

I've found Amazon to be an excellent source for used books. You tend to pay a bit more, but wind up saving a lot of time...

by Ale Rider

Yeah...too steep for me. I guess that's around the going rate for these though. I did get an older CNE book from the late 60's and the loose leaf companion book to one of the CNE tours in a book box lot at a local auction. Those will have to do for now...

Thanks for all the replies...

Ed
  by Bernard Rudberg

I have been uploading CNE related photos and captions to a web site that may be of interest to you. Most of what I have posted has been about the CNE in NY state but part of it is CT. The web site is:

http://www.lakemirabel.com/Railroad/Cen ... gland.html

By the way, I am also the one who writes those CNE tour guide books every year.

Bernie Rudberg
  by Ale Rider

Bernie-

I will check that website out when I have a little more time. I have the guidebook from the first(?) tour that did Hartford to State Line. Very interesting, but I'm sure the tour guides filled in alot of info as the tour progressed.

What part of the CNE will be toured in 2006?

Also, where was the livestock loading ramp at Copaco in relation to the curent grade crossing of Cottage Grove Road? I was curious as to when it was last used....

Ed
  by Bernard Rudberg

The April 2006 CNE tour will be all in Dutchess County NY. We plan to start by the big bridge in Poughkeepsie and work east on what used to be the P&E and the P&C railroads. This will take us through Pleasant valley, Salt Point, Clinton Corners, Stanfordville, McIntyre, Stissing Junction and Attlebury Farms to Pine Plains. The two railroads ran parallel for most of that route. They actually crossed in two places.

Bernie
  by RussNelson

Bernard Rudberg wrote:The last time I talked to Nimke he had no more books and there were no plans to print any more.
:( GRRRRRRR! Copyright doesn't exist so that people can restrict the availability of their books. By not selling more copies of his books, he's just asking people to paraphrase the information in his books and republish them.

Underpublishing is one way to reduce the risk of publishing a book, but if a book turns out to be popular, you've foregone all that income. It seems silly to me.