• NHRR Train Names

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by mjhar

Hi Guys,

I am doing some research and was wondering what the names of the passenger trains (if any) traveled up to Danbury? If you can think of any, could you tell me what type of train it was (i.e. express, shuttle, sleeper). Thanks for your help!

mjhar
  by Tom Curtin

The trains on the Danbury line that featured names in the passenger timetable were the ones that ran to Pittsfield. The most famous and most enduring name was The Berkshire, a name that lasted for decades. Other train names bestowed by the passenger traffic department, which had varying degrees of longevity --- and varying degrees of tongue-twisting --- were The Litchfield, The Mahaiwe, The Mahkeenac, The Umpachanee, and The Housatonic.