• NHRHTA question- Yankee Clipper trip?

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by Clean Cab

What date did the NHRHTA run it's Yankee Clipper fan trip? If I remember correctly, it ran from New Haven to New London then ran to Worcester (?) then back to New Haven. I think it was in October of 1985. Any help would be appreciated.
  by Tom Curtin

If you're remembering the one with an FL9 (making its debut after rebuilding)- F40 combo, it was June 1985. The route was New Haven-Mansfield MA - Framingham-Worcester-New London-New Haven.

There was a trip on May 83 (I don't remember what catchy name we gave it) that ran New Haven-Groton-Worcester-Providence-New Haven.

by Clean Cab

Thanks Tom. I was on that trip (the "Yankee Clipper") and enjoyed it thoroughly. It was certainly the high water mark of the NHRHTA's series of fan trips. Too bad they don't do them any more. :(

I to forget the name of the 1983 trip. But I recall the NHRHTA running several "HUsking Bee" trips across the Maybrook Line.

by Otto Vondrak

I'd gladly pay $100 for a ticket that included FL9s going beyond New Haven!!

-otto-

by Clean Cab

Since all exsisting FL-9s don't have ACSES cab signals, I'd say the odds are slim. More's the pity!!!

by Otto Vondrak

Dangit, I knew there was a reason. No FL9's in Springfield this year, I guess!
  by RDL 879

Tom Curtin wrote:
There was a trip on May 83 (I don't remember what catchy name we gave it) that ran New Haven-Groton-Worcester-Providence-New Haven.
That was the "East Wind," on May 1, 1983. Got some nice additions to the mileage collection that day. It was equipped with an Amtrak F-40, Clocker cars, and an Amcafe.

by HighlandRail&DEY-7 652

Otto, FL-9's could run on the Springfield line, ACSES isn't needed there just the Shoreline. On the Springfield line we use regular old fashioned cabs and LSL. I'm not sure if you'd need ACSES from NH to Mill River though cause I only deal with Cedar to Springfield.