• News on useing the old B&M tracks to Littleton NH

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by NHV 669

not likely. a quarter mile of them are now buried under a soccer field a mile or so from my house, work which was done quite a while ago. In essence, the tracks are gone before they even get to downtown. Not to mention the only way to access these tracks through the NHCR's line are blocked by all the cars he has in storage on both tracks
  by B&Mguy

According to the most recent edition of "Lost Railroads of New England", the Whitefield-Littleton segment of the old B&M White Mountains division is listed as out of service. From a few random Google street view images, it looks like most of the tracks have been removed at grade crossings, including the NH Route 116 crossing. What I'm curious about is when this section will offically be abandoned, or whether there's a reason that it's being kept somewhat intact?

Was it the town of Littleton that built the soccer field over the tracks? I assume they must have acquired ownership of this segment, but if the tracks are only out of service, it interests me as to how they were able to build over the right of way.

I have heard from time to time talk about the Littleton Industrial Park wanting rail service in the future, but that seems extremely unlikely the way things look right now.
  by NHV 669

B&Mguy wrote:According to the most recent edition of "Lost Railroads of New England", the Whitefield-Littleton segment of the old B&M White Mountains division is listed as out of service. From a few random Google street view images, it looks like most of the tracks have been removed at grade crossings, including the NH Route 116 crossing. What I'm curious about is when this section will offically be abandoned, or whether there's a reason that it's being kept somewhat intact?

Was it the town of Littleton that built the soccer field over the tracks? I assume they must have acquired ownership of this segment, but if the tracks are only out of service, it interests me as to how they were able to build over the right of way.

I have heard from time to time talk about the Littleton Industrial Park wanting rail service in the future, but that seems extremely unlikely the way things look right now.
The soccer field was already there, the part over the tracks was an addition to widen it. Supposedly, NHCR owns them now, and has taken down crossings on Rt. 3 (if that's a good enough sign of their plans)

As for the Industrial Park, every single business in it is across the road, up a hill, and located on the already removed portion of the line. As for shipping, even if the line was active right now, I can tell you by working in one of the park's anchor businesses that trucks are way faster, more efficient/reliable, and don't require a mess to reach any of these businesses. To add to that, how would the product we ship out possibly reach Londonderry by rail, even close to fast enough, without even first considering there is no rail access to Londonderry to begin with?
  by b&m 1566

I thought there was talk of starting up a scenic railroad out of Littleton. Someone a few years back had made mention of a Littleton to Whitefield and return setup.