• Newbie Questions?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by New Shortliner

This is a nice sight. Seems like a good source of information and a good place to talk shop as well as worship all things railroad.

As might be expected by the name and subject title, I was just recently hired as a conductor with a local short-line railroad. I'm a mild foamer, but that had little to do with pursuing this career path. I have a feeling most of you will chuckle at this, but I left my last job because of the schedule :-) It may be that I have jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire, but I'm optomistic that the schedule will be a little better and I'll enjoy the work more (the combination of the two making the schedule OK)

The biggest questions I have are:

1) I've got B.S. in Business - Is it likely that it will be advantageous in my career with the railroad? and,

2) What would any of you guys do differently if you were to go back to your new hire days?

by LIRailfan79

What RR do you work for?

Shortline RR employees tend to have a better quality of life with respect to the schedules, as compared to the Class I's.
  by jz441

New Shortliner wrote: The biggest questions I have are:

1) I've got B.S. in Business - Is it likely that it will be advantageous in my career with the railroad?
Yes, definitely advantageous.... On the class I's people with your credentials are very quickly promoted amongst the management ranks.
New Shortliner wrote:2) What would any of you guys do differently if you were to go back to your new hire days?
Go back to school, and away from the railroad... :wink: