• New Orleans-Baton Rouge Amtrak route

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by RandallW

I think that New Orleans is a smart hub to develop services in the Gulf Coast region out of--Amtrak has the capacity to operate and maintain additional trains at New Orleans without major investment in the terminal and maintenance areas itself and (I think) New Orleans is the only such terminal that doesn't already have regional rail services operating out of it. As a plus, any regional train already has (albeit not necessarily convenient) three existing long distance / inter-regional routes as connections. I don't know what the cost of building out these services would be if Amtrak did not already have maintenance facilities in New Orleans, but I imagine it would be significantly higher than it already is.

In addition, given that national politics (and the Federal budget) is too often treated as a zero-sum game, when Amtrak can expand, Amtrak has to build out a national system that provides services in new regions if it wants support (there seems to be a group of coastal elites who would dismiss flyover country by withdrawing services outside the NEC and CA and a large population in flyover country who feel that since Amtrak doesn't serve them or their area, it shouldn't exist)--new regional services outside the NEC/Chicago/CA areas may be politically more valuable for Amtrak than some extensions of the existing core regions would be.
  by Jeff Smith

Route approved: BusinessReport.com
Louisiana, Amtrak sign agreement for passenger rail between Baton Rouge, New Orleans

Gov. John Bel Edwards and Amtrak Chief Executive Officer Stephen Gardner joined other officials to sign a service development agreement that will advance the return of intercity passenger rail service between Baton Rouge and New Orleans, the governor’s office announced today.

According to the agreement, passenger service could start as early as 2027.

The route, which has yet to be named, is planned to have the following stops:

Baton Rouge Downtown
Baton Rouge South
Gonzales
LaPlace
New Orleans Int’l Airport
Jefferson Parish (TBD)
New Orleans Union Passenger Terminal
  by eolesen

The lame duck D governor that is being replaced by an R?.... we've seen these types of commitments made on the way out, and I don't remember any of them actually coming to fruition.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

by WashingtonPark

Jeff Smith wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:00 am Route approved: BusinessReport.com
Louisiana, Amtrak sign agreement for passenger rail between Baton Rouge, New Orleans

Gov. John Bel Edwards and Amtrak Chief Executive Officer Stephen Gardner joined other officials to sign a service development agreement that will advance the return of intercity passenger rail service between Baton Rouge and New Orleans, the governor’s office announced today.

According to the agreement, passenger service could start as early as 2027.

The route, which has yet to be named, is planned to have the following stops:

Baton Rouge Downtown
Baton Rouge South
Gonzales
LaPlace
New Orleans Int’l Airport
Jefferson Parish (TBD)
New Orleans Union Passenger Terminal
Only 3 1/2 years to add a passenger train to a current rail line? I don't believe they can do it that fast. The owner will want at least 2 billion dollars in improvements.
  by Tadman

eolesen wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:44 am The lame duck D governor that is being replaced by an R?.... we've seen these types of commitments made on the way out, and I don't remember any of them actually coming to fruition.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
Worth knowing that Louisiana politics are like Argentine politics. Sometimes assigning party lines and values doesn't work.

The major hurdle here is that super-slow long bridge west of Kenner over the spillway. CN is perfectly happy going slow over the bridge. Otherwise its a dense route that is probably a very good fit for passenger trains provided there are 2-3/day in each direction. Especially if the western terminal is over the Mississippi river on the west edge of metro Baton Rouge. If you've never driven on I-10 through Baton Rouge, you have no idea how maddening traffic can be. There are only two bridges over the big river and they're always a mess. It can take an hour or two just to get across town on the wrong day.