• New Haven Greenbush operations

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by Epsilon

Hello. I was looking around, and I was wondering if there were any good places to find information on the New Haven's operations on the Old Colony track stretch between Greenbush and Braintree, especially in Hingham itself. Specifically, I'm looking for information on where stations were located and pictures of what those stations looked like. Do the station locations match up with those in the restoration being done by the MBTA?

by Clean Cab

You might want to try asking this question on the MBTA Rail Operations portion of this website.
  by Tom Curtin

Epsilon wrote:Specifically, I'm looking for information on where stations were located and pictures of what those stations looked like.
I'm afraid this response won't be terribly useful to you but it may trigger another response from somebody else . . . . I distinctly remember seeing a book, not very long ago and probably at some train show, that had photos of most of the New Haven's stations on the line. Unforutnately I can't name the book but I can tell you there's one out there!

by Epsilon

Surprising to see this thread surface again.. I actually found most of the information I wanted through looking on my own.

Though I did have one question, about downtown Hingham... sources seem to say that there were two stations in close proximity in the area- one on Station St. and the other across from St. Paul's Church... Did trains use both these stations on a regular run? Did both of them survive to the end of passenger operations on the line?

I note the MBTA has chosen to put a total of zero stops in this location- likely because of the tunnel.

by livesteamer

As far as stations on the Greenbush line (MBTA), Greenbush and North Scituate are in same location; Cohassett and Hingham are in new locations at least a mile north of original station locations; can't speak of Weymouth locations. Scituate did "lose" two station locations-Scituate and Egypt.
  by John W.

The way I heard it: The town of Hingham was so fearful of the "noise", "congestion", "pollution" and general chaos that would be caused by a ressurection of commuter rail service that they positively vetoed the idea of a new station anywhere near the downtown area. The town is beginning to regret this decision as they see other towns anticipating swarms of commuters spending money in their own town centers-where the stations are.

by paulrail

I was reading an article about Weymouth's possible attempt to make the "Landing" part of an Historical District.

I found this quote from Mayor Madden very interesting! I bet the Selectmen in Hingham and Cohasset wish now that they could say the same thing about their "Center" or "Village" !!!! (both Towns now want a station to be built in or extremely close to their centers!..unbelievable)

"........Madden said the arrival of the MBTA’s Greenbush commuter rail service will be a boon to Weymouth Landing’s businesses.

“The train is coming through the Landing and into Jackson Square,” he said. “We do need to capitalize on that asset. If you are going to move the Landing forward with its vitality you do not want to be too restrictive....." (he's referring to the Historic District)

At least two South Coastal towns, Weymouth with two stops, one in the Landing and one in East Weymouth will reap the benefits of the resumption of rail service. Scituate too was "on the ball" with a station in North Scituate Center and in Greenbush "village" area.

Norwell, Marshfield and even some North Duxbury residents will finally have some relief from the current gridlock on Route's 228 and 3A.

Cheers and hats off to the Mayor of Weymouth and the Selectmen in Scituate for helping the merchants develop new business from the return of rail service :wink:

Paul

by eriemike

I found this article today in Boston.com (The Boston Globe). At least it isn't contentious, but about the past and an old New Haven baggage master (now deceased) who brought his family along for the last ride in 1959. Now the family has gotten together to take a ride on the first revenue ride. The article is here

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articl ... _the_past/

My only complaint about the article is that they call the New Haven, the New York, New Hampshire & Hartford Railroad Co. I guess the fact checkers aren't working very hard at the Globe.
  by Steam501

The best source for Railroad Station Information and Photos sometimes id contacting the Historical Society , by calling and getting ahold of The Town of Hingham Town Hall Clerks Office and they will provide some contacts.
The New Haven Power 1838-1968 Big Hardcover Book , I think may be out of print. contains lots of Photographs. Eriemike may try Railroad Postcards/ Railroad Station Photographs/ or at the BIG E Railroad Show comming up at Springfield, Mass in about a month you will finf all kinds of DELTOLOGISTS aka Post card collectors who sell reproduction Post Cards and Photograps of Railroad Stations by Railroad Line , Town. City, Etc. The

The phone # for HINGHAM, MASS HISTORICAL COMMISSION IS

1-781-741-1492