• New Guy -- UHB

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by UPRR engineer

Anyone know what a UHB is? I had the worst stew ever on my job a couple weeks ago.

Well the week before that we had the other new guy, i could tell right off that stew #1 was gonna do mighty fine. He fit in just fine. His first trip ever was with us. I wanted him to get the most out of this week so i told the brakeman let him watch you do something first, pull me past a switch, make a hook, pull and hang fred. Then you watch him, let him be the brakeman. He caught on quick, and i let him know he was doing a good job. He asked good questions about what i was doing as i ran the train, and we pointed out things, A blocks and what not, what the next light might be, listening in as the track inspector got track and time, yes to the switch, no to the switch. Good stuff, and he was getting it.

The next week we had #2 stew, the first question i asked this guy, "How was last week? Should have the hang of it pretty much right?" "OHH YA... this job is CAKE!" I grinded my teeth and smiled because i knew better. I did hear him on the radio once last week when he was on another local. His cockyness upset me a bit, and i got more upset as the day went on. I dont know what his instructor told him he was suppost to be doing on student trips but i think all he got out of school was, call out the signals, say "here comes a east bound", bring to my attention that i was speeding, and rub my conductor the wrong way all day. I think he might have gotten off to help about 20% of the time. Most new guys dont know how to take a break, got there coat and radio on them, gloves close by at all time, ready to bail off in a seconds notice. Not stew #2, he was a UHB.

The next day i had enough of this crap. My conductor and brakeman are both cut back engineers. I told the brakeman you run today, and ill ride this new guy. So we bail off at the first stop and i started ripping ass. "YOU GOT THIS??" "GET YOUR DOPE OUT" "WHAT THE HELL" I didnt cut the guy any slack. He couldnt do anything right. Ya everything i said, didnt help a bit. At the end of the first stop i had enough, i gave him the good talk, "If monkeys could talk, the UP would have them out here doing this crap, its not a hard job." "75% of the guys who mark up aint any better at this stuff the day they first stepped on the property, better start paying attention and get in there and do some work!!!" "I dont care if you get hurt or tear sh*t up, your not playing with my job." Some of it might have stuck, but not much. I got back in the chair and ran the rest of the day, he did a little more after that, but not much.

Later on in the week our trainmaster caught up with us, and i bailed off to talk with him. They all know me well, ill talk freely, when they ask.... i tell. First thing he asked "Hows he doing?" I went off on a rant and ended it by telling him i gave him the "monkey" speech. He laughed, i told him the other guy was a keeper, this guy needs to be beaten daily to get any work out of him.
Last edited by UPRR engineer on Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by GOLDEN-ARM

Hey, UP, welcome back. Now, what the hell is a "stew"? Is that like a cub, newbie or FNG? Never heard it before, must be a local thing..... Okay, enough waiting, WHAT is a "UHB"? You could always send him to the far end of the yard, to "protect" a switch you know you will not be using....... :-D , if you know what I mean. Regards :wink:

by cifn2

dang I would be happy to come out and work under you. I think you would be great to train under. But I am accustomed to the central US the Mountain West might be a different story lol Don't mean to brag or anything but I know I feel I am more qualified then some of these guys. I haven't even heard from UP on the job they closed locally. It is coming up on a week since they closed it so I am assuming they hired it out already without inviting me to a hiring session. I have always worked as a lower man on the ambulance. I have always been the safe one. I have never had a ticket, or accident. I could go on all day. I am not what they were looking for I guess. Maybe next round lol

by UPRR engineer

Thanks for the welcome there dude.
Yep "Stew" is short for student, guess it is a local thing here, i tend not to call a new guy by his name untill i've decided if i like him or not. Untill then i call them stew.

UHB..... Unit Hugging B*tch Works pretty good when your talking about the new guy while hes in the cab. They dont have a clue what the hell your talking about.

by hooked up

Yeah, nice to see you post again UPRR, always good reading. After 31 years of short-line railroading, including training new hires, now the shoe is on the other foot and I am the "stew" again! You may recall I was trying hard to get on with the UP out West last year (including my encounter with "Snacks"). On my second attempt (this time in Phippsburg), I was conditionally hired but then not allowed to take the "new" P.A.T. because my heart rate was too high when I walked in to take the test! So, I put in an application with the BNSF and got hired so fast my head is still spinning. I am now in week 10 of conductor training and having a great time. After spending so many years on the other side of the coin (and the other side of the cab), hopefully I know how to be a good "stew"!! Well, at least I haven't heard the "monkey speech" yet. :-D