• New grade crossing on abandoned track Manchester Township,NJ

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by steve coraggio

Recently, I have noticed a new grade crossing, and ballasted track and rr crossing signs at the site of a former abandoned railroad track in Manchester Township, Ocean County, NJ. The exact location is Ocean County Route # 530 (Lacey Road) and Manchester Boulevard and Station Road. Will that line be reactivated at some future time, passenger or freight use? If anyone has any information about this I can be contacted by e-mail at Steve Coraggio, [email protected] The Hagstrom Ocean Map mapbook I have lists this line as abandoned and doesn't identify the railroad that previously used this line. Thank you. Steve Coraggio
Last edited by steve coraggio on Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by nomis

This is the thread on the subject ... http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 27&t=31458 A good place to start on the current events is here on page 72 through the end. Happy reading :-)
  by steve coraggio

Nomis,
Thank you for your reply and information. I saw the new grade about a few weeks ago and saw some equipment there as well. The blue colored machine in one of the links you provided. It seems that that rail line is a single track and has been
abandoned for a very long time. To me adding a new grade crossing, and RR crossing signs means the possibility that line may be reopened at soem future time. Is that line former PRR or former CNJ? I have other Hagstrom map books and they are pretty accurate with identifying rail lines even if those rr lines aren't currently in use. As I mentioend earlier this one is identified as Abandoned Track .
Steve Coraggio
  by David

I believe the track in question is called "Out of Service" Not abandoned--Locking her up--Please see the thread "CNJ being cleared from Woodmansie > north" Thank you.