• New CSX Intermodal Symbols?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by AMK0123

Was in the Orangeburg, NY area today when I heard a Q-006 heading southbound on the line. Was what appeared to be an all TOFC UPS Intermodal train traveling southbound. Overheard the NYSW dispatcher advise their WS3 crew that a new train, Q-006 would be arriving shortly. Also heard the NI dispatcher advise the train that he had just gotten off the phone with the NYSW dispatcher and to hold at CP5.
Looked through all my CSX train symbols and came up with nothing. Was wondering if anyone knew anything about this train. Is it new or taking the place of another train, origin/ destination, schedule, etc. Any info would be great.
  by railman616

The brain trusts in Jacksonville decided that things are not confusing enough with crew shortages lets change most of the intermodal train symbol. So this week it went into effect. Someone on this forum might have the new symbols and will share them. I can't.
  by charlie6017

I have an idea..........I think I'm going to use this thread, and make it a "sticky", we can use this for awhile to get used to the new intermodal symbols. In the NY State forum I also heard new symbols were going to be used. So if anyone can post links, add information for us all to use that would be great!

Thanks Everyone!
Charlie
  by strench707

Is this just within the New York State area or is CSX rearranging their intermodal symbols system wide. Down here near Washington DC we have Q17# series intermodals and I was wondering if these were to be switched around too. I know some of our intermodals make it up to New Jersey or farther (getting close to NY) so i just thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance for any info and I'll have to keep my ears out for any new trains. Going to Baltimore tomorrow, I'll have to listen as to what the intermodals calls as.

Davis
  by railman616

System wide change of intermodal symbols.
  by cp8558

AMK0123 wrote:Was in the Orangeburg, NY area today when I heard a Q-006 heading southbound on the line. Was what appeared to be an all TOFC UPS Intermodal train traveling southbound. Overheard the NYSW dispatcher advise their WS3 crew that a new train, Q-006 would be arriving shortly. Also heard the NI dispatcher advise the train that he had just gotten off the phone with the NYSW dispatcher and to hold at CP5.
Looked through all my CSX train symbols and came up with nothing. Was wondering if anyone knew anything about this train. Is it new or taking the place of another train, origin/ destination, schedule, etc. Any info would be great.
Q006 is the old Q118 Chicago-Kearny runs Wednesday only out of Chicago.

Dave
http://www.angelfire.com/ri2/canadianpacific
  by strench707

I was out in Baltimore today watching trains near the Raven's stadium. All symbols were normal except the intermodals.

I first got L033-06 southbound which looked normal as the usual Q173.

Then after northbound trash went by Q034 called. For whatever reason Q034 and in the past always Q174 never called its date. I have yet to figure out why but 174 never has and still doesn't as 034. Also, which was amusing was he hesitantly called CARROLL interlocking as Q034 and then when he hit BAILEY Int. next he said it quick and was like "Northbound CSX Q one seven fo......ahem.... Q... zero ....three ...four on Main 2, etc." but it sounds like things may take getting used to.

Anyways just adding that useless bit of info, lol

Davis
  by SurlyKnuckle

"The brain trusts in Jacksonville decided that things are not confusing enough with crew shortages lets change most of the intermodal train symbol"

You got that right...
  by gp40marc69

I was wondering why the change in the symbols myself. IIRC those are high priority trains and just changing them to a zero didn't really make any sense. I remember about a week ago hearing L033 on the RF&P and I thought that it was an extra train and remember the usual Q/L 170s that were TOFCs.
  by railman616

This change allows for another 100 intermodal train symbols. So that is the reason although changing most of the symbols has made for a lot of confusion. Why not just add the new symbols to new trains? But that is why they have their jobs to make me harder.
  by gp40marc69

railman616 wrote:This change allows for another 100 intermodal train symbols. So that is the reason although changing most of the symbols has made for a lot of confusion. Why not just add the new symbols to new trains? But that is why they have their jobs to make me harder.
I like what my friend told me. He works as a conductor on the MARC Camden Line: At CSX, if you're not happy, we're not happy.
  by FinalMacGyver

I have a list in my railroad grip that tells what the new designation of the old ones were, I can post it if you'd like.
  by charlie6017

FinalMacGyver wrote:I have a list in my railroad grip that tells what the new designation of the old ones were, I can post it if you'd like.

Please, definitely post that if you would.......it would be a great reference!

Thanks!
Charlie
  by ctrail

I am working on a model layout of cedarhill and the new haven line for 3 years,does anyone know of all the industries that csx works today?