• Need Help upgrading to DCC

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by AMK0123

Don't know if this topic has come up in the past, but I was looking for alittle guidance. Currently, three of my engines are DCC, (two Atlas and one MTH). I also happened to get a Atlas Trainman GP38-2 (CSX road number 2766, YN2). I located the 8 pin NMRA plug and wanted to go ahead and install a DCC decoder, (preferably w/ sound). Don't have any sodering tools so I was looking for a plug in decoder. Was wondering if anyone can recommend a decoder to go with. Looked through Walthers, etc. and I think I made myself more confused. Any help would be appreciated.
  by Otto Vondrak

AMK0123 wrote:Don't know if this topic has come up in the past, but I was looking for alittle guidance. Currently, three of my engines are DCC, (two Atlas and one MTH). I also happened to get a Atlas Trainman GP38-2 (CSX road number 2766, YN2). I located the 8 pin NMRA plug and wanted to go ahead and install a DCC decoder, (preferably w/ sound). Don't have any sodering tools so I was looking for a plug in decoder. Was wondering if anyone can recommend a decoder to go with. Looked through Walthers, etc. and I think I made myself more confused. Any help would be appreciated.

Here's what you need...

http://carstensbookstore.com/prgutodicoco.html

-otto-
  by AMK0123

Thank you both for the replies. I'll keep you posted...
  by Cadet57

Otto Vondrak wrote:
AMK0123 wrote:Don't know if this topic has come up in the past, but I was looking for alittle guidance. Currently, three of my engines are DCC, (two Atlas and one MTH). I also happened to get a Atlas Trainman GP38-2 (CSX road number 2766, YN2). I located the 8 pin NMRA plug and wanted to go ahead and install a DCC decoder, (preferably w/ sound). Don't have any sodering tools so I was looking for a plug in decoder. Was wondering if anyone can recommend a decoder to go with. Looked through Walthers, etc. and I think I made myself more confused. Any help would be appreciated.

Here's what you need...

http://carstensbookstore.com/prgutodicoco.html

-otto-
Personally I found that book a waste of money. It did not provide any real good layout wiring advice. Mostly focused on decoder and system selection, and decoder installation. For a beginner, even this book might still be a bit tough to get thru.
  by Railjunkie

I use the QSI revolution u sound decoder with the 8 pin plug, and recomend a high base speaker. For speaker install you will need soldering tools.
  by Otto Vondrak

Cadet57 wrote:Mostly focused on decoder and system selection, and decoder installation. For a beginner, even this book might still be a bit tough to get thru.
Since the original poster was asking about decoder selection and installation, it seemed appropriate.

-otto-
  by The Man

I have a few DCC engines and three with sound, I want to start converting some of my older stuff to DCC/Sound and I can say I have no skills when it comes to installing this stuff. Does anyone make a plug in unit for Atlas and Proto? What I want and have no idea if anyone makes is a DCC decoder with the sound system and speaker all in one? If so what would be my best bet? The engines I want to convert are-
Atlas red box U-23-B
Atlas Classic GP-7, C-424, RS-3, S-1
Proto 2000 GP-38, SD-60, GP-20, GP-18, E-8
Proto 1000 RS-11, RDC-1
Kato C-44-9W
Atlas master with DCC and no Sound GP-38, GP-40 and B-40-8.
Athearn plug and play SD-40T, SD-45, SD-50
Bachmann DCC no sound SY class 2-8-2 Mike.

Any help would be great. I can get the shells off and follow the directions but I have no way to do the real small work on the wires. (Busted up my hand and cannot use a few fingers yet) so easy would be best.

JJ-
  by lexon

Unfortunately, there is no best, only what works best for you and with a bum hand, nothing will be easy. Many times soldering is needed.
Better to ask about each loco individually.
Many diesels need the shell pried apart and tooth picks inserted to keep the tabs from catching as you remove the shell. Need two hands for this and probably you should get a foam loco holder for the loco. I got mine from Bowser. A LHS can get one for you. Walther's carries them also.

Some sites will have decoder selection info about non-sound decoder brands but not sound decoders. Many times you will have to go to the manufacturer sound decoder sites for loco selection.
Below are a bunch of links to look through about DCC.
http://www.mrdccu.com/

The below site has a decoder selector for their decoders.
http://www.soundtraxx.com/

General DCC info in the two below sites.
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/nswmn/
http://www.siliconvalleylines.com/dcc/p ... tions.html

If those reading this message have not got it yet, store the links in Favorites and do some reading.

Rich
  by The Man

Thanks Rich. I will get one of the foam holders. Sounds like I might want to see if I can find someone in the Syracuse area who knows how to do this and pay them. (I am sure that will be cheaper than replacing the locomotive after I bust it trying.)

JJ-
  by AMK0123

I did some searching and didn't read anything previously posted so I come with another dcc question... First off as last posted I ended up installing a digitraz decoder in my atlas silver series GP40-2 and other than changing the address and adjusting the cv values for the speeds, I have to say the engine is super quiet, pulls great and I have had no problems so far... Onto my new question. I purchased a Bachmann SD40-2 DCC equipped engine. Took it out of the box and started to run on my layout. I noticed that it is much louder than any other engine I have and it changes speed quiet frequently. I'm constantly increasing / decreasing the throttle to stay at the same speed. Was wondering if anyone has had similar problems with these units and if there is anything I can do to get the unit running smoother and quieter. Also, would love to add sound but looks like a tight fit under the shell. Anyone ever try to install sound in these units before?
  by mlrr

Find a decoder with BEMF. It essentially acts as a cruise control for locomotives. The drawback is that the performance of the locomotive when consisting might get a little hairy when BEMF is on. You have the option to turn it off though.

You may also need a wire bus on the layout (less likely). Atlas' wiring manual explains how speeds can drop and pick up if there is a drop in current and a bus wire helps to mitigate this phenomenon.
  by AMK0123

mlrr, thanks for the response. I will look into that type of decoder, however I know it's not a track wiring problem. I currently have three Atlas and one MTH and I can have those engines going from fast down to a crawl and I never have any issues.
  by mlrr

AMK0123 wrote:mlrr, thanks for the response. I will look into that type of decoder, however I know it's not a track wiring problem. I currently have three Atlas and one MTH and I can have those engines going from fast down to a crawl and I never have any issues.
I figured. That second suggestion/solution was just a long shot.
  by ApproachMedium

mlrr wrote:Find a decoder with BEMF. It essentially acts as a cruise control for locomotives. The drawback is that the performance of the locomotive when consisting might get a little hairy when BEMF is on. You have the option to turn it off though.

You may also need a wire bus on the layout (less likely). Atlas' wiring manual explains how speeds can drop and pick up if there is a drop in current and a bus wire helps to mitigate this phenomenon.

NO! With a bachmann loco and a BEMF decoder you will create more problems!!! The only way to truly get a bachmann to run better is to gut the thing from its factory wiring board, and remove any capacitors diodes and resistors that bachmann installs over the positive and negative leads of the motor. To do this requires a full dissassembly of the locomotive. I know this well, I have done a lot of experiments with a SD45 spectrum that we tested the first Tsunami diesel in. It hated going uphill, it would always slow down. And a load? Forget it. With all the junk removed and a decoder BEMF or not direct wired to the motor it runs like any other loco!