• mystery of lew

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by daylight4449

now, i am starting this thread so i can share my findings on the fate of lew, a mannel warding build 2-6-2T of lynton and barnstaple heritage.

based on my current research, she is somewhere in the vicinity of the town of atalaia, in argentina. supposedly, she saw work on a sugar cane railroad in brazil between 1936 and 1941, at which point she was sent to a logging operation near atalaia. there was a person sent to brazil in 1989 and 1991, patrick lloyd, but i am unaware of how to contact him to see what he knows.

either way, with lyd finished on the ffestiniog railway and a replica of lyn and leo (a 2-4-2T and 2-6-2T) being built, it is high time that we find out the fate of lew
  by daylight4449

appears that i was confused by the report i read on lew. atalaya is in brazil. if she's in argentina, i have no clue where
  by daylight4449

i believe i may have located a lead on the company that brought lew to brazil. anderson levanti & co was involved in bringing small locomotives to south america in 1936/1937. supposedly, they still exist in montevideo, uraguay. i believe that they may have shipping records on lew's arrival and where she was sent apon arrival
  by David Benton

What gauge was it ? you may be able to track it down by eliminating railroads with different gauges .
  by george matthews

David Benton wrote:What gauge was it ? you may be able to track it down by eliminating railroads with different gauges .
Two foot. i.e. common Welsh mining gauge.
  by daylight4449

george matthews wrote:
David Benton wrote:What gauge was it ? you may be able to track it down by eliminating railroads with different gauges .
Two foot. i.e. common Welsh mining gauge.
exactlly! also on my to-find list is patrick lloyd. he went to brazil in 1989 and 1991. sadly, my contact at the lyton and barnstaple has told me that they have tried to track down patrick for the last 15 years. apparently, he was thought of fairly highly amongst his colleauges at rhe L&B. i'm hoping that if i can get in touch with him, that he might be able to share his information with me regarding lew
  by Jark

daylight,

Are you still looking for the elusive Patrick Lloyd? A quick google search for the name reveals that there's a P Lloyd living in Barnstaple as well as a Patrick J Lloyd (married to Margaret Lloyd) living in South Molton (barely 15 miles from Barnstaple) who is 65+ years old - possibly could fit the criteria. It's all very random obviously but perhaps worth a try?

Do you know roughly what age Patrick Lloyd would be if he were still alive?
  by daylight4449

Jark wrote:daylight,

Are you still looking for the elusive Patrick Lloyd? A quick google search for the name reveals that there's a P Lloyd living in Barnstaple as well as a Patrick J Lloyd (married to Margaret Lloyd) living in South Molton (barely 15 miles from Barnstaple) who is 65+ years old - possibly could fit the criteria. It's all very random obviously but perhaps worth a try?

Do you know roughly what age Patrick Lloyd would be if he were still alive?
Absolutely no idea. Haven't really turned up anything new lately, as planning to find out what the "train" (my cousin's words) in the woods near Uxbridge is. I have tried a person search, but no luck. That might be of great help. Thanks.