• Museum in Guatemala City.....Still Open?

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by Earle Baldwin

Prior to the shutdown of railroad operations, FVG, FEGUA and local enthusiasts had established a nice museum in the old Guatemala City Station. Does anyone know if the museum is still open?

Thnaks in advance for any replies.
  by ajl1239

Yes, it is still open. I work for an NGO in Guatemala City and some of our children were taken there on a field trip. Enjoy!
  by Earle Baldwin

Hi.

Thanks for the information. It's good to hear Guatemala's citizenry will continue to have exposure to railroading even if it is limited to a museum environment.
  by 3rdrail

I was there in 1988 when it was FEGUA and in full operation. Is the museum static or do they fire up the old steamers ?They have some classic American Baldwins there. (I'd like to see them brought home and run at Jamestown, where the movie industry would keep them glistening. The Guatemalan government doesn't deserve them.)
  by Earle Baldwin

Unfortunately, at the present time, I believe the only trains running in the country are those on the museum's HO layout. It appears the railway has suffered from extensive vandalism and encroachment sine FVG suspended operations. Lengthy stretches of track are completely gone, bridges have been sabotaged, rail facilities are being encroached upon without restriction and grade crossings have been paved over. In fact, the yards at El Rancho and Puerto Barrios have been replaced with parks. Informational updates and photographs can be found on Railroad Development Corporation's website.

www.rrdc.com

Gauatemala's situation is quite a contrast to rail transportation progress being made in other Latin American nations. It's rather sad.

Earle