• MTA Metro-North Railroad Hiring Process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by belvin555

Can anyone tell how the Metro North pension works and how many years you have to work there to be vested?
Thanks
  by lauraj

What should I expect in the panel interview? What are good pertinent questions to ask? I'm excited!
  by HalMallon

Has anyone heard if MN will be looking to hire conductors in the near future?

I've been keeping an eye on the MTA employment listings lately, but have not seen anything posted.

Thanks!
  by Steamboat Willie

1 class at the end of 2014 and 6 classes for 2015 for train service.
  by northjerseybuff

Are these jobs posted on their website? or do applications need to be submitted in person?
  by DutchRailnut

Metro North only accepts applications via the website, any mail in or call in are not to be processed.
  by Steamboat Willie

The posting for conductor will be open again this coming week. Keep your eyes peeled for it.
  by truck6018

Steamboat Willie wrote:The posting for conductor will be open again this coming week. Keep your eyes peeled for it.
Its supposed to go online on Wednesday and be up for 5 days.
  by AlphaOneSix

I check everyday for a Conductor posting. Thank you for the heads up though. How do you know it is supposed to be up this week?
  by AlphaOneSix

truck6018 wrote:
lauraj wrote:So... I took the conductors exam back in August 2013 and found out that I had passed in October. I haven't heard anything since then up until last week when Sterling contacted me and said they were starting the background check. A day after I sent the info in, someone contacted me by email and asked I fill out the application and email or fax it in within 4 days. Anyone have any advice on to what this means or possible timelines and such??? Thanks!
It means that is you still want the job, you get the papers in.

Timelines? Think railroad time. Could be next week, next month, etc.
The same exact thing happened to me at that same time.
  by DutchRailnut

some people can't read whats posted. yet believe they have a chance in hell to get Cdr position ???????????????????????????????????????????????

01/21/2015 Conductor Trainee 82031 Various (one skill required is reading comprehension)
  by AlphaOneSix

DutchRailnut wrote:some people can't read whats posted. yet believe they have a chance in hell to get Cdr position ???????????????????????????????????????????????

01/21/2015 Conductor Trainee 82031 Various (one skill required is reading comprehension)
Notice my post was published on the 20th? The day before the newest conductor posting. I guess arithmetic was not a requirement way back in your day to become an engineer. I have read a lot of your posts so maybe you can explain to me why a lot of them come off as nasty or smug? now that you are a retiree and have so much time to sit on rr.net all day I figured you would have found the time by now to become a better person, and be nice. Just because you are sitting behind an anonymous keyboard does not make you any tougher. I am sorry you hate Conductors so much. It must have been rough for you having to take orders from them for so many years.
  by free2fly

I have been applying to Metro North for conductor Trainee for years. Never get a response. I started applying even before they had a website. Anyone know how I can actually get a call. My resume is nice lots of public contact. I don't know what to do anymore. Thanks. :-D
  by EM2000

I am sorry you hate Conductors so much. It must have been rough for you having to take orders from them for so many years.
Please tell us, how exactly do Locomotive Engineer's take orders from a Conductor? LOL! (Here's a hint, there's a very healthy amount of sarcasm in this post, take heed).