• Mr. Color paints???

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by deandremouse

I was looking up a black color for an engine I'm doing, I usually use flowquil but this "Mr. Color" bottle came up because it was on sale.

Is it any good, good to use on trains or no?

I've never heard of this brand before.
  by Backshophoss

Never heard of this stuff,have always used Polly S/Polly Scale paints.
Only thing you could do is test it on a "scrapped/damaged" car to see if the paint reacts to the plastic.
If the plastic reacts,DON'T use it,and dispose of it properly!
  by CNJ999

If you have had consistant success with Floquil paints, why in the world try to switch to an unknown bargin brand? This is one of the basic mistakes I see hobbyists make, trying to save a few cents on paint while at the same time taking the chance of ruining an often costly model with it. My advice is to stick with the name-band model paints with their known behavior for locomotives and other more expensive rolling stock. If you must, try experimenting on some cheap, throw away Tyco shell and even then don't use the cheap paint on your best equipment.

CNJ999
  by deandremouse

CNJ999 wrote:If you have had consistant success with Floquil paints, why in the world try to switch to an unknown bargin brand? This is one of the basic mistakes I see hobbyists make, trying to save a few cents on paint while at the same time taking the chance of ruining an often costly model with it. My advice is to stick with the name-band model paints with their known behavior for locomotives and other more expensive rolling stock. If you must, try experimenting on some cheap, throw away Tyco shell and even then don't use the cheap paint on your best equipment.

CNJ999
I really wasn't going to buy it, I just never heard of the brand in my life. I'll stick to floquil and polyscale.
  by Mirai Zikasu

Mr. Color is actually a well-established brand; it's just not very common as it's Japanese. I've never used it personally, but I have two ancient Aoshima Back to the Future Delorean kits that recommend it or Tamiya in their instructions. It's a lacquer-based paint like Alclad (though not diluted, so lacquer thinner would be needed), and apparently, it's a very durable paint that's resistant to chipping. It also has all the deliciously hazardous fumes that come with lacquer-based paints and thinners, so if you use it, make sure that you have extra good ventilation. So, there's nothing bad about the brand; it's just unusual unless one works with Japanese models and/or similar paint brand Tamiya.

Also, a fun fact for any animu geeks: Mr. Color puts out a line of paints specifically for Gundam models for anyone looking to sneak a Gundam onto your club layouts. :P