• Morocco

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by Cactus Jack

I'll be heading to Morocco soon and will be on a Marakeech - Casablanca train. Anyone have any comments or suggestions regarding travelling on ONCF or any historical equipment that would be worth checking out ?
  by george matthews

I haven't been there since 1981 but at that time the trains were up to contemporary European standards with second hand French carriages. That is, it did not strike me as comparable to other African rail systems. I travelled from Tanger to Ksar el Kabir (not very far) on a long distance train in both directions.

(I was going to visit the "Master Musicians of Jajouka").
  by DutchRailnut

Let me know if you find the 5 Budd SPV's from the Royal train
  by David Benton

i was there probably early 90's . They had virtually new carriages , which were french 2nd class corail stock very comfortable , and there is 1st class .alot better than the equivalent bus srvice , and undoubtley a lot safer .
There was still some old 3rd class carriages in use that looked like they were at least 50 years old or so . wooden seats etc , they ahd alot of character .
You will find Morrococo fasinating but a bit hard on the nerves . lots of unemployed young men looking to be your guide etc . but its relatively safe , and they are friendly and hospitable people .
  by DutchRailnut

For a Marocco preview look here:
http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/ne/Morocco/pix.html

one of only pictures available online of the Royal SPV's , 6 cars went to the Kingdom cars 2001 > 2006
  by Cactus Jack

I didn't see any SPV's.

Our passenger train had a Japanese electric, Hitachi perhaps? and I spotted a welded rail train with an EMD GT26. Rails were not real busy but there was alot of CWR being installed and a number of realignments that had been done relatively recent between Marrakech and Casablanca. Speeds were quite fast 40-70 mph I would estimate and the ride quality was beautiful. We were in 2nd class cars (8 people to a compartment) but I have no idea the vintage or manufacturer.