Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
  by Milesius

Hi I am trying to gather as much 1950 information about the PRR and LHR BEL DEL before I create a close to accurate Model of it in HO scale. I am planning to Make it from Trenton to Belvidere and maybe further north to the DLW connection. I am planning to do Early November of 1950. I pick that year because that was the last year the PRR ran steam on the Bel Del and they purchased all 1000HP engines, probably ALCo RS-1's.

I need to know what were the train names that ran for the PRR and LHR and what were they carrying.

I need to know if anyone has accurate track diagrams of towns along this route.

I need to know if anyone has blue prints of any of the stations or structures along the way.

Did the P-Burg yard have 2 coaling facilities for their steam engines in the yard next to the turntable or one operating in 1950? One was a newly created concrete coaling tower, and there was an elevated coaling track that was along one where the coaling tower was too.

What Interchange trains went into the PRR P-Burg yard in 1950? LV CNJ DLW or did the PRR go to their yards to pick up?

Did the PRR take its own engines out of the P-Burg yard and send them to Bethlehem Steal or did the LV pick up the oar cars?

How long where the trains that the PRR ran locally around P-Burg.

Who were the companies that the PRR and LHR serviced in 1950?

I know there is a lot but any information would be great and remember it has to be around 1950.

Thanks,

Donald McGowan
Last edited by Milesius on Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by SooLineRob

Try here:

http://raildata.railfan.net

This site has many railroads' details, including "track profiles". Go to the PRR section, and you'll find a 1963 profile, or map. Although it's later than your time frame, it would be a good start for any track plan project...

by Schuylkill Valley

Hello Miles,
I have a 1904 TT of the line.

Len.
  by Milesius

Sorry I didn't realize what you wrote untill I sent what it was. I have that too and many others. I need to know How many freight trains went daily on the Bel Del in 1950.

by C. Crane

If you don't already have them, pick up copies of Warren Lee's 'Down Along the Old Bel-Del' and the 'Bel-Del Compendeum', These are the difinitive texts on the Bel-Del branch. The compenduem has a copy of the timetable from the 50's and also lists traffice volumne of the era.
  by Milesius

C. Crane wrote:If you don't already have them, pick up copies of Warren Lee's 'Down Along the Old Bel-Del' and the 'Bel-Del Compendeum', These are the difinitive texts on the Bel-Del branch. The compenduem has a copy of the timetable from the 50's and also lists traffice volumne of the era.
I have them both and they are very good books. There is a lack of information on train freight numbers which ran on the Bel Del daily in the early 50's, unless I miss something. I also like to get a list of consists that was running from one yard to the next and locally. I plan on building a layout either in my future basement or the club I am starting here in Central NJ, with the intention to run it on a operation night. :-)

by C. Crane

I have seen, somewhere, the schedule you speak of. I thought it was reproduced in Lee's book. I may have found it on the web. I think I may have copied it and will look for it.

I also had researched the pants off the Bel-Del for my own layout.

by AlexC

It's not much, but check this list of Freight Symbols as of 1960.

Also here... BL1/BL2, BL5, BL6
  by Milesius

Thanks Alex!!! I am planning to start a Model Railroad Club in Central NJ on the Bel Del. I had a couple of flyers out to see if there was any interest. I have about 6 people so far and wanted to see if anyone would be interested in seeing such a club formed. I would like to have a staging yard in Morrisville PA, represent Trenton yard, most of the small towns up to P-Burg, and have interchanges with the Reading, Lehigh Valley, Central Railroad of New Jersey, Lehigh New England, Lehigh Husdon River, and the Delaware Lackawanna and Western in two spots. I would like to model the Hudson River yard north of P-Burg, G-Tower, town of Belvadere, and the Delaware River crossing on the old DL&W old Mainline to Stroudsburg PA.
  by Milesius

Hello all. Ok it's been almost 3 years since this post began and here is a update. I did a article for The Atlas Modeler not too long ago http://www.atlasrr.com/AtlasModeler/AtlasModeler008.pdf and now I have a house I plan on building my layout soon. I still looking for more photos, maps, and identifying what kind of trains came from and what road power did they use. If anyone has anything let me know.