• Mileage on The Putnam

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Dieter

Were the mile markers removed when the tracks were torn up? If that's the case, it's one of the few cases where anybody bothered.

D/

by Jeff Smith

If they weren't I'm sure railfans grabbed them up. I remember walking the line once between Mahopac and Carmel somewhere around Croton Falls Rd once around 1984 and finding some spikes; I don't remember if I grabbed them or not, but I doubt I have them anymore.

by Otto Vondrak

You can't just walk away with a milepost. They are like icebergs, you only see the tip protruding from the soil, and they weigh a couple hundred pounds... there was a pile salvaged from the Put at the old La Cantina restaurant along the Saw Mill, but they are long gone.

-otto-

by Jeff Smith

Never underestimate a motivated rail fan :wink: . But yeah, I hadn't considered the weight issue.
  by Tom Curtin

Thank you.. So based on info in an earlier post, that mile post is 1.93 milexs north of East View.

Tom
  by Otto Vondrak

Yeah, they took a swipe at MP 22 when they were building the trail. They plucked the other MP's and artifacts when they built the trail, in hopes of displaying them at a museum or something... are they all still stored in the lot at La Cantina?

-otto-
  by Stillwell

Otto Vondrak wrote:Yeah, they took a swipe at MP 22 when they were building the trail. They plucked the other MP's and artifacts when they built the trail, in hopes of displaying them at a museum or something... are they all still stored in the lot at La Cantina?

-otto-
I've seen photos of MP22 from the late '60s & and the '70s and it had a "bite" taken out of it even back then. It's possible that it was originally damaged when they were dismantling the midsection of the Put back in late 1962. I took my own pics of it back in '05 (maybe it was '06). I have to look at them again because I don't remember MP22 being quite as damaged as it appears in the recent pic that was just posted. I could be wrong. Gotta find that pic.

As for the artifacts that were stored at La Cantina... There was some discussion about this during Joe Schivone's walking tour a couple weeks back. Mention was made of the proposed museum in Woodlands Park and how a bunch of Put artifacts had been stored there about 15 years ago. One of the guys from the Ardsley Historical Society, who was involved in the project, mentioned that the MPs and other stuff have since disappeared from their storage site. Hopefully they will turn up one of these days. He also mentioned that they still want to do some kind of Put historical display in Woodlands Park.

Jon
  by Jeff Smith

If the "eagles" (I forgot the correct term) from the original NY Penn can be found in a landfill, I'm sure they can locate these artifacts.