• Metro North: 3rd Railman position

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Jimmymack

I've been called for testing for the 3rd Railman position. Aside from energizing the 3rd rail, installing and replacing the brackets and covers and bonding the rail, can someone tell me some of the other job functions that this craft performs. I'm currently working as a traveling custodian @ MNR and I'm hoping to transfer out ASAP. I can't seem to find anyone who is currently holding this position in my yard so any info will help. Thanks
  by nomis

Mod Note: Moved to employment forum.
  by AlphaOneSix

Jimmymack wrote:I've been called for testing for the 3rd Railman position. Aside from energizing the 3rd rail, installing and replacing the brackets and covers and bonding the rail, can someone tell me some of the other job functions that this craft performs. I'm currently working as a traveling custodian @ MNR and I'm hoping to transfer out ASAP. I can't seem to find anyone who is currently holding this position in my yard so any info will help. Thanks

How did your interview go? We're you sent for a physical, if so how was it?
  by Jimmymack

I haven't heard anything yet. I spent over a month dealing with Sterling Infoservice the background investigation company . They said I was involved in a accident last year, after making 100 calls, faxing papers back and forth, they finally realized they had the wrong license number and incorrect person. Every time I apply for a job this company fucks up. The last time they said the county search should that I was involved in a divorce proceeding. Have you been called yet for a interview or physical?
  by AlphaOneSix

I took and passed the Third Railman Exam October 14th. I was given and passed an interview December 15th. I took the Physical Ability and Medical Physical today January 9th. I just have to wait for the urinalysis to come back before they call me to tell me when to start.

Has anyone else taken the exam, interviewed, and taken the physicals lately?
  by AlphaOneSix

I took the Exam October 14th, and was given an interview December 15th which I passed. I was invited to take the physical ability and medical physical which I took and passed today. They just have to wait for the urinalysis to come back before they give me a start date. At least you are already in the company. I have been trying to get in from the street for seven years, and fifty applications. I am so grateful my time has finally come. I want to be a Conductor more than anything else in life.

I hope you make it to an interview. We were told during the exam that they have more 3Rman positions than they have applicants and anyone who passes background would be given an interview.
  by nomis

The OP was for Metro North ... I put a request in to merge this thread with the other MN 3rd Rail thread.
  by AlphaOneSix

matawanaberdeen wrote:What RR? MNCR, LIRR, or MTA? Or something else?

Sorry, Metro North next time I will know to specify.
  by AlphaOneSix

Who builds, or rebuilds the third rail? Is it Third Railmen, or track workers? For example if a fallen tree damages the 3R,or for capital improvement say extending the 3r further north.
  by bxreppa

I passed the physical ability test on Jan 9th as well. Waiting for an orientation date too.
  by AlphaOneSix

bxreppa wrote:I passed the physical ability test on Jan 9th as well. Waiting for an orientation date too.
Congratulations! I am so happy to hear that someone else was there the same day. The gentleman who gave me the physical ability exam said I was first one to come in, did he mention where you were in the line of physicals? My appointment was 10am.

As soon as I hear from them I will shoot you a message so you know. Please do the same for me. The wait is killing me.

One Therory is they need to wait for enough of us to pass physicals before they can give us a start date. I have been told training is all on the job with a series of exams over six months to qualify as a third Railman. So what I don't understand is why not give us start dates as the toxicology results come in.

When did you take the written exam?
  by bxreppa

AlphaOneSix wrote:
bxreppa wrote:I passed the physical ability test on Jan 9th as well. Waiting for an orientation date too.
Congratulations! I am so happy to hear that someone else was there the same day. The gentleman who gave me the physical ability exam said I was first one to come in, did he mention where you were in the line of physicals? My appointment was 10am.

As soon as I hear from them I will shoot you a message so you know. Please do the same for me. The wait is killing me.

One Therory is they need to wait for enough of us to pass physicals before they can give us a start date. I have been told training is all on the job with a series of exams over six months to qualify as a third Railman. So what I don't understand is why not give us start dates as the toxicology results come in.

When did you take the written exam?

Thank you! Congratulations to you too! I took the pat @ 10:40, so it seems I might of been after you. The gang foreman who interviewed me made it seem like there will be training and testing but nothing to worry about. Ive been so anxious and this waiting for a reply after the toxicology has been overwhelming lol...
  by AlphaOneSix

[/quote] Thank you! Congratulations to you too! I took the pat @ 10:40, so it seems I might of been after you. The gang foreman who interviewed me made it seem like there will be training and testing but nothing to worry about. Ive been so anxious and this waiting for a reply after the toxicology has been overwhelming lol...[/quote]

There was a gang foreman at the interview? No one introduced themselves as such. Lucky for me, I would have been too nervous had he. I wonder who it was. At least we know there are two of us. I have been on pins and needles waiting for them to call. Do you have any idea as to when they should call? They told me not to notify my employer yet so that leads me to believe it won't be for a while.