Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
  by clburton

I just want to find pictures of before the closure of the Manhattan Transfers station and the station today.
  by radioboy

Manhattan Transfer no longer stands. It was located here.

Here are two photos of the station.

I can't find the date of demolition. Does anyone know?
  by GSC

Was this station accessible from the outside, or just a transfer platform?
  by Roadgeek Adam

GSC wrote:Was this station accessible from the outside, or just a transfer platform?
Just transfer. There was no physical entrance. There was no roads to access it
  by Idiot Railfan

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
GSC wrote:Was this station accessible from the outside, or just a transfer platform?
Just transfer. There was no physical entrance. There was no roads to access it
That's now Montclair University station was used for the first year or so. Just a transfer platform with now public access from outside.
  by clburton

but did they actually tear it down or is there like a piece of concrete or a platform still there?
  by Roadgeek Adam

clburton wrote:but did they actually tear it down or is there like a piece of concrete or a platform still there?
Its really too dangerous to find out in person, but by train, you might see something, not much though. (Trust me, I've looked)
  by sixty-six

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
clburton wrote:but did they actually tear it down or is there like a piece of concrete or a platform still there?
Its really too dangerous to find out in person, but by train, you might see something, not much though. (Trust me, I've looked)
Theres no way to find out in person.
  by Kaback9

jimzim66 wrote:
Roadgeek Adam wrote:
Theres no way to find out in person.
There is if you like trains hitting you.
  by Ken W2KB

I don't think there is anything left, been some 75 years since it was closed. Except for the switch tower that controlled the interlockings. Still there next to the PATH westbound track.
  by TREnecNYP

It was in service from 1910 to 1933, demolished 1935-1937 when market st station was replaced by newark penn station and the tracks realigned.

- A
  by OportRailfan

Hudson Tower is the only existing structure from the days of Manhattan Transfer if I'm not mistaken.
  by Jersey_Mike

For a while you could still see some of the foundation material, but it may have been obliterated as tracks in that area were recently rehabilitated.
  by timz

TREnecNYP wrote:It was in service from 1910 to 1933
It was in use until 1937. It seems electrification didn't reach South Amboy until 1936, so probably PRR was changing engines at Manh Tfr until then; maybe LV was changing engines there until it closed?
  by TREnecNYP

timz wrote:
TREnecNYP wrote:It was in service from 1910 to 1933
It was in use until 1937. It seems electrification didn't reach South Amboy until 1936, so probably PRR was changing engines at Manh Tfr until then; maybe LV was changing engines there until it closed?
All i know is that PRR trains to and from new york (shuttle style) stopped using it in 1933 because that is when the wires went up. It may have been used for a time by both H&M and PRR trains going to and from exchange place/hudson terminal etc, but as far as i have found in historical accounts H&M went to newark penn in 1937, and exchange place took a huge switch to a back seat role as soon as the wires went to nyp. Basically what i'm saying is there was no more 3rd rail transfer to nyp, it was simply a convenience for H&M and PRR passengers to allow them to continue on west, or loop back up to midtown for whatever reason such as meeting family till H&M was extended to NWK in 1937. Once H&M was extended to serve NWK, exchange place started its final nosedive into oblivion.

Although it's more on the side of a flight of fancy, i would still love to see main line heavy rail service to exchange place, even if it took the form of a shuttle to alleviate PATH crowding. If the money was there and CRSA played ball you could do it, even make a second stop in MMC for the freight & NJTR crews.

- A