• Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

by MEC407

Article from today's Portland Press Herald:

"A founder of the Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad is trying to turn the tourist attraction into a 3.3 mile transportation link that would skirt Portland's Eastern Promenade and connect the waterfront with Hadlock Field."

You can read the rest of the article by visiting this web page:

http://www.pressherald.com/news/local/040520train.shtml

by P2c3689

R.T.,
Any particular thoughts about this ?

I think expansion would be great , but I have fears about what federal authorities will think about the idea of having silmoultaneous operations of brand new regulatory compliant equipment and 100 year old totally incompliant equipment. Doing this whole thing may require that some historic equipment be altered, that just comes with the territory. On the other hand it could be claimed that this is just the natural progression of things, the SR&RL starting outfitting their equipment with air brakes et al back as early as prior to 1900, it just never really caught on .

I also think that if the city is willing to help the museum out, they might as well just comply with their plan- the more cooperative in the long run we seem I think the better relations will be in the future which is absolutely essential.

I also think the mass transit idea is good in other ways-- alleviating traffic in the city, and eventually providing people with jobs also.

Regards,
Trevor H.

by MEC407

P2c3689 wrote:R.T.,
Any particular thoughts about this ?
Personally I think it's a great idea.

I think it would help to bring a lot more visitors to MNGRR, which is definitely a plus. The fact that it would offer an alternative mode of transportation in that section of Portland is an added bonus.