• Louisville derailment - 1/16

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by Engineer James

Man, sounds bad. It looked bad. Any hope of rebuild of #151?

by hutch1984

The derailment on the 16th was the Q50215, lead engine CSX 7316. I was working at Radnor Yard when it came through Nashville around 11:30 PM the night before the derailment.

by Bryanjones

CSX-COAL HAULER wrote:What and where is the mainline subdivision? Did you mean to say it was on the main line on the KY subdivision on the Huntingdon Division? I am glad you realize how easy for mis-information to get out there-------------------------------------------------There is no MAIN LINE SUB-DIVISION. :P
its named exactly as what I said, Mainline Subdivision. CSX folks usually refer to it as the Mainline Sub around here. This is the line which runs between Louisville,KY and Nashville,TN. Do some research and you can find more info on the line. So YES, there IS a MAINLINE SUBDIVISION.
And for those who are wondering, traffic on the Mainline Sub currently being reouted out of Louisville over the LH&St.L Sub to Evansville,Indiana and then south down the HD to Nashville,TN. Reverse that pattern for northbound traffic.
Chemicals from atleast 2 tank cars remained to be burned off and this started sometime Wednesday afternoon and was expected to go on for atleast 16-18 hours. If all fires are out and chemicals taken care of, cleanup of the wreck site should begin sometime Thursday or Friday. There is a lot of work ahead of the crews, I would not expect to see the line reopened until about the middle of next week.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY

by Engineer James

Ok looking at the roster.

#151 and #403 are AC4400Cw's and #7316 is a C40-8W. #7316 is ex-Conrail. Man, a lot of high power just crashed. So, the switch team was running the train without air? is that possibile?

by ExEMDLOCOTester

Engineer James wrote:Ok looking at the roster.

#151 and #403 are AC4400Cw's and #7316 is a C40-8W. #7316 is ex-Conrail. Man, a lot of high power just crashed. So, the switch team was running the train without air? is that possibile?
As long as the cars have NO air aboard, you can use the Independents.

by hutch1984

Engineer James, I don't think Q502's engines were involved in the derailment. I think it happened about 30 cars back into the train.

by Engineer James

151 was destroyed!!!! Man, I haven't seen a crashed locomotive look that bad since one of those Amtrak crashes long time go. Now, hope of saving her at all. Maybe as a booster unit in the yard, but thats it.

EMD> So, you mean you could use the "con" brakes? since you have no air.....

by ExEMDLOCOTester

Engineer James wrote:151 was destroyed!!!! Man, I haven't seen a crashed locomotive look that bad since one of those Amtrak crashes long time go. Now, hope of saving her at all. Maybe as a booster unit in the yard, but thats it.

EMD> So, you mean you could use the "con" brakes? since you have no air.....
I don't know what a "con" brake is....
  by ExEMDLOCOTester

U-Haul wrote:CSXT 151 is only valuable for trinkets. To burnt to be scrapped.
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos. ... CSXT%20151
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoPi ... px?id=7650
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoPi ... px?id=8540
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=628013
As toasted the trucks are, I am surprised that the rail & ties are in this state of excellent condition. I am surprised that the Axle bearings didn't cease.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=628013

by Engineer James

Sorry, my granddad always used to call the hand applied brakes on the side of the railcars "con" brakes for some reason. But, could they have used those?

Maybe like I said cut her down and use her as a yard slug or something. :( its bad to see a locomotive so destroyed.

by ExEMDLOCOTester

Engineer James wrote:Sorry, my granddad always used to call the hand applied brakes on the side of the railcars "con" brakes for some reason. But, could they have used those?

Maybe like I said cut her down and use her as a yard slug or something. :( its bad to see a locomotive so destroyed.
The hand brake operates the brake shoes of a single locomotive wheel / axle. IF the brake is set as tight as possible and locks the wheel, flat spots will be created on that axle when the unit moves (gravity or towing). On some SD units the hand brake activates the common rigging of two wheels / axles. Set hand brakes on powered locomotives rarely create flatspots due to the torque of the axle's traction motor overpowering the brake. This pratcice .......... Stinks...... :(
The design intent of the modern handbrake is to hold the unit in place when the pnuematic brakes are released.

Hoggers .... This answer accurate?

by ExEMDLOCOTester

ExEMDLOCOTester wrote:
Engineer James wrote:Ok looking at the roster.

As long as the RAIL cars have NO air aboard, you can use the Independents.
Added the word RAIL

by Engineer James

So the handbrakes can only be used on locomotives instead of freight and passenger cars? Sounds dangerous........