• Looking to relocate.

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Lynmarie123

I am currently working for a company that wants to relocate me (all expenses paid) to palm beach, Florida. My husband currently works for 6 years on the LIRR not to mention he's a very loyal New Yorker. I went to college in Florida and absolutely love it, and think it would be a great improvement of quality of life for me my husband and especially our 1 1/2 year old son. He is concerned that there won't be a job for him at the FEC or any other railroad that will offer comparable benefits and wage, but otherwise agrees with the idea of moving. Does anyone have any experience dealing with this situation, or works for the FEC and can give some insight.

by LCJ

FEC does not appear to be seeking applicants for any jobs at this time. A quick look at this site: Railroad Retirement Board Jobs Page shows a couple of positions with Amtrak in southern Florida, though.

by GOLDEN-ARM

Heed the words, of the wise old sage, LCJ. There is NO work, on the FEC at this time. IF they are hiring, it is in Miami, or Jax. Training is paid for, at a rate of around $65.00 per day, until you are promoted. Also, you must provide your own lodging, while qualifying. No jobs will be available in WPB, or any area close by. Miami will provide work, occasionally, when hiring is going on. SCFE, in Clewiston is hiring, and CSX will occasionaly have openings, but again, it's Miami, Jax or the Tampa/Bradenton area, not the east coast. Amtrak is also in need, in Jax, or Tampa, on occasion. The Seminole Gulf, in Ft. Meyers is also another place, that has openings on a fairly regular basis. As far as being a "loyal New Yorker", not to worry. Half the people now living in our Sunshine state are (unfortunately :-D ) from New York, so he should feel right at home. Good Luck. :wink:

by LCJ

Whadya mean, "old?"

by GOLDEN-ARM

"Vintage"..........? :P :P

by LCJ

I remember when I thought 55 was old, too. It sneaks up you -- so watch out.

by Lynmarie123

Thank you for your reply's, still unsure what were going to do but I will have to wait and see what happens!