• Looking for Track Construction Standards

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by UKrailwayman

Hi guys,

Can anyone help, please.

I am trying to get hold of a copy of what we call in England "Track Constructions Standards". These being the standard for the installation of the track which specify how the various elements of the track (bottom ballast, ties, rails, stone, rail joints , etc) are constructed/implemented by the construction teams.

I have a study to carry out on upgrading to 40 ton axle loads but UK loads are much less and so our Standards may not be appropriate.

I believe that US loads are higher, and probably represent better engineering practice.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Please PM me if you wish to clarify anything, or check why I am seeking this information.
  by 130MM

Try http://www.arema.org. The Manual for Railway Engineering has just about everything you might need, but its price might be a little steep. Their Practical Guide to Railway Engineering may be a cheaper alternative that still fits your needs. Another source may be Railroad Engineering by William Hay. It is solid book, but may be a little dated as it doesn't contain many of the recent developments.

Hope these work for you.

DAW
UKrailwayman wrote:Hi guys,

Can anyone help, please.

I am trying to get hold of a copy of what we call in England "Track Constructions Standards". These being the standard for the installation of the track which specify how the various elements of the track (bottom ballast, ties, rails, stone, rail joints , etc) are constructed/implemented by the construction teams.

I have a study to carry out on upgrading to 40 ton axle loads but UK loads are much less and so our Standards may not be appropriate.

I believe that US loads are higher, and probably represent better engineering practice.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Please PM me if you wish to clarify anything, or check why I am seeking this information.
  by UKrailwayman

130MM wrote:Try http://www.arema.org. The Manual for Railway Engineering has just about everything you might need, but its price might be a little steep. Their Practical Guide to Railway Engineering may be a cheaper alternative that still fits your needs. Another source may be Railroad Engineering by William Hay. It is solid book, but may be a little dated as it doesn't contain many of the recent developments.

Hope these work for you.

DAW
Thank you very much, I am very grateful to you.