• LOOKING FOR A SOURCE FOR THIS FILM......

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

by GOLDEN-ARM

As per an earlier thread, with myself and MEC-403 discussing my new camera purchase, he suggested the film I should seek was: Kodak Ultra Color 400UC. Only problem I have, is not being able to locate it anywhere. Any ideas on where to find it locally, ie: a "box" store, outlet store, whatever. Not really into buying film on the web, or through mail order outlets. Regards, :-D

by MikeF

Where are you located?

by GOLDEN-ARM

Right smack dab, in the cultural capital of the nation, rural Alabama....... :( Montomery would be the closest city, although it's an hour ride to get there. Wallyworld doesn't carry it, neither do any of the other stores around, i.e.: discount stores, grocery stores, the farm store, etc...... :wink:

by Brad Smith

It's a super saturated professional film. You will need to find a high end photo supplier, a standard store will not carry it.
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professi ... 3.16&lc=en

There is a dealer search on that page. For Montgomery it brought up this:
RITZ CAMERA CENTER 1307
2960-C VELDA PLACE
MONTGOMERY, AL 36106, USA
Phone: 334-270-0700

by MikeF

What's your objection to mail-order/online dealers? The big (e.g. New York) camera stores generally have better prices than places like Ritz Camera, and if it's an hour drive just to get to Ritz, I suspect the $10 or so UPS bill to ship some film from New York would be less than your driving costs.

by Brad Smith

Goldenarm,
If you don't already use a polarizing filter on your lenses, pick up one of them as well. They are pricey but worth the bucks. They will do wonders for your color saturation and you may not need the UC film. The UC film will give exaggerated colors, use it with a polarizing filter and it will give unbelievably (albeit unrealistic) brilliant, color.

by GOLDEN-ARM

Mike F asked, "what's my objection to online dealers"? Well, just as when I bought my camera, instead of listening to what I wanted, the "mope" on the other end of the line wasted lot's of my time, trying to "convince" me on what I needed. I don't want some expired film, or to pay for shipping, if I am in an area where the film is available. I have no problems with buying online, if there is no other venue to make a purchase. (just ask eBay, I am the third highest buyer there!!! :wink: ) I want a single roll, to shoot some comparison shots with, against a roll of what I am currently shooting. The polarizing filter is another matter. I do have a filter,/protector on the end of my lens, currently. Why would I need a polarizing lens filter, and if it's so important to shooting a good shot, why don't they "polarize" the lenses, when they are manufactured? (just a rhetorical question here, not meant to sound "condescending") Much like the polarized coatings on glasses, and sunglesses today, why not just "build it in"? Thanks to all, for your excellent replies......... :-D

by MikeF

You asked about why lenses aren't polarized at the factory ... I can think of two reasons offhand. First, polarizing filters are circular polarizers, which can be rotated to achieve the desired amount of polarization, from full-strength down to virtually nothing. If the lens glass itself were coated, that might not be possible without messing up focus or focal length. Second, polarizers are a type of "special effect" filter and not everybody wants that effect all the time. Personally, I almost never use a polarizer.

by Brad Smith

I agree with mikef on how the filter operates and why it shouldn't be done on the lens. And I agree it's better to have it as a filter rather than on the lens so that it can be added by those who like them and left off for those who don't.

I disagree that it's a "special effect" lens. The special effect tag gives it a gimmicky sound. It isn't manipulting or altering (i.e. bending, distorting or coloring) the light or image, a polarizing filter only lets light pass on a single axis rather than the many axis we see with our eye. Doing this eliminates glare and, more importantly for color saturation, eliminates reflected light that washes out the true color of objects. The shot of the bike rider on the Kodak page I linked you to was shot with a polarizing filter, that's why the sky is so dramatic. Some, like Mike, might argue that it's a special effect, others, like me, say this is true the color of the sky without reflected light washing it out. The ability to rotate the filter to achieve the saturation desired is why it is a filter unto itself.

You'll never catch me shooting outdoors without one!

Goldenarm,
I'd like to hear what you think after your test.
  by MEC407

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:As per an earlier thread, with myself and MEC-403 discussing my new camera purchase, he suggested the film I should seek was: Kodak Ultra Color 400UC. Only problem I have, is not being able to locate it anywhere. Any ideas on where to find it locally, ie: a "box" store, outlet store, whatever. Not really into buying film on the web, or through mail order outlets. Regards, :-D
Hey G-A! Hope the camera is working out well for ya'.

I'm surprised you haven't been able to find it locally... not even at Wal-Mart? All of the Wal-Marts up here in Maine carry it, and I've seen it at places like Target, CVS, and Rite-Aid.

Nevertheless, if you can't find it, then you can't find it. My only suggestion would be to find a camera store that carries Kodak products. Surely they would have it. If not, try hunting around for Kodak High Definition 400. It's basically the same as 400UC, but only comes in 24exp rolls. It's generally available just about anywhere. I've seen it at every grocery store, supermarket, drugstore, and discount store in Maine.

by MEC407

Brad Smith wrote:You will need to find a high end photo supplier, a standard store will not carry it.
Actually, Kodak has been marketing this stuff quite aggressively at Wal-Mart for the past year or so. They were even including free sample rolls in the 4-packs of Kodak MAX for a while.

by MEC407

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:I don't want some expired film, or to pay for shipping, if I am in an area where the film is available. I have no problems with buying online, if there is no other venue to make a purchase. (just ask eBay, I am the third highest buyer there!!! :wink: ) I want a single roll, to shoot some comparison shots with, against a roll of what I am currently shooting.
Tell ya' what... I've got a few rolls of 400UC in my freezer... I think I can spare one. :wink: If you want, send me an email with your mailing address and I'll send you a roll. You can give it a shot and see what you think. No sense in paying shipping charges or driving all over creation just to try a single roll!

by GOLDEN-ARM

The Max-Versatility I have been using is fine, but I wanted to try some UC, based on the MEC407 hint at trying it. I will disagree about the polarizing effects, on glass. Quality sunglasses have a polarized coating on them (I personally use Costa Del Mar's or Oakleys, when fishing, and the glasses work right side up, or upside down. the coating simp;ly removes refracted/reflected light, from it's source (in my case, water) and allows you to see a particular scene as it would look, without the additional light sopurces shining back towards the viewer. (in my case, it allows one to see into the water, and locate fish, by sight, not visible by any other means) I can't imagine the time, I would want those reflections glaring back at me, while trying to shoot a roster type photo...... One more time, at Wallyworld, and I might take you up on that generous offer, MEC407 :-D
Last edited by GOLDEN-ARM on Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Brad Smith

MEC407 wrote:
Brad Smith wrote:You will need to find a high end photo supplier, a standard store will not carry it.
Actually, Kodak has been marketing this stuff quite aggressively at Wal-Mart for the past year or so. They were even including free sample rolls in the 4-packs of Kodak MAX for a while.
I'm surprised to hear this but I don't doubt you.

The main difference between consumer and professional films are the controls Kodak keeps on them. Film needs to age for optimum results. Consumer films are released early and age on the shelf and in cameras. Professional films are released near their peak and intended for short shelf life and minimal time in a camera. It's unusual for a professional film to be marketed at a consumer outlet, that's what prompted my advice to GA to find a high end supplier.

by GOLDEN-ARM

I guess I will have to wait to see a "high-end" store, in my travels, or hit up the generous offer, by MEC407. :-D Still looking to see what it looks like, and also searching for a digital, for ease in "sharing" photos, from the road. Regards......