• LMS C40-8W

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

by emd_SD_60

So far, none of them have been painted in CN colors yet. And yes, they sure could use some new paint! :-D

As for them being acquired by CN and sublettered for IC, I have no idea. :( Maybe someone else here can point it out...
  by stuart_iowa

they were the first Ge units purchased for IC lines ever, before Cn purchased these units i was told the fleet was GM units.
the units were on a shared lease program with conrail, and CN , 6 months at a time. after the break up of conrail they decided they did not need the units and CN purchased the units for their sole use on the IC. remained blue patched wet noodle over the lms logo on the sides...the noodle is not the same size as the normal CN and ICRR is on the cab.

by emd_SD_60

Here's an ex-LMS locomotive, now owned by CSX:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=87688

At first glance it bears a striking resemblance to one of the CN/IC units, but lacks the huge white CN "noodle" and white numbers. This one will hopefully be painted into the CSX "Bright Future" scheme soon.

by TerryC

Thanks for the info, I have been wondering the about the same thing.

keep asking keep learning
MERRY CHRISTMAS
Last edited by TerryC on Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

by AmtrakFan

emd_SD_60 wrote:So far, none of them have been painted in CN colors yet. And yes, they sure could use some new paint! :-D

As for them being acquired by CN and sublettered for IC, I have no idea. :( Maybe someone else here can point it out...
Yes they need some new paint. I think they were leased by CN at one time.

John

by TerryC

The units were on a shared lease program with Conrail and Canadian National for 6 months at a time

keep asking keep learning
MERRY CHRISTMAS

by emd_SD_60

I think the LMS units would look good in the paint scheme on the IC SD70's and SD40's.

Also, does anyone know if the SD70's are going to be painted into CN colors anytime soon? I hope not.