• Litchfield tunnel and East Canaan arches

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by trainsinmaine

I'm planning to be in western Conn. next week and would like to visit the town of Litchfield, having heard a lot about the place but never having gone there. Is the old Shepaug RR tunnel there walkable? How does one get to it?

Also: I know roughly where the East Canaan stone arch bridges are on the old CNE RoW; I'd like to see them, too, but what sort of hoops would I have to jump through to do it? I understand they're on private property.

by Railboy76

You will probably have better luck with this on the New England Forum.
  by cnefan

The Shepaug Tunnel is located south of the Village of Washington Depot that starts out as River Road and becoming Tunnel Road. Last I knew, it was still accessible. - - - Both sides of the Whiting River Arches in East Canaan are private property. The north side was visited by a group of railfans in 2002 with permission of the owner. The south side owner objects to visitors from what I hear. You probably could walk in across the top of the fill from Canaan Valley Road or College Hill Road (both to the north of Route 44 in East Canaan) without any problems.

by the missing link

the shepaug tunnel is safe to walk through.certainly a nice trail for a spring/summer hike.a few ties here and there,some interesting culverts/masonry