• LIRR o27 engine K-Line question/general question

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by mirrodie

So its been over 15 years since I last took out this set. I have this Greenport scoot set that comes with the trains, a transformer and track.

Im currently cleaning the tracks but have a general question:

I also have a GP38 made by the now defunct K-line. The box says its a GP38 with "real Sounds"

I dont think it ever worked right from day one but I ve only used it less than 20 times.
That said, I've only used it with that transformer and track that came with the greeport scoot. Is it possible that the thing works fine and I should just buy a better transformer?
  by Backshophoss

Hopefully there's a Hobby shop nearby with a working test track,check the K-line GP-38 to see if it works properly there.
  by mirrodie

So I took it to the lcoal hobby shop. NOt good.

The engine has run fine for years but the sound was never right. So I put it on their test track. It works a few times, runs forward and reverse. And then dies right there.

I was kind of suspect at the owner. We wanted $30 to, as her put it, "even open it up and monkey around with it".

With that kind of response, I declined and took it to Willis Hobbies and await their verdict. It was drawing a lot of amps and was told it could be a short. The person there was a lot more helpful in explaining what he could and couldnt do. I respect that vs the thought of monekying around.

WE'll see what happens.
  by Backshophoss

Not sure,but it seems like Willis Hobbies has a "Lionel/Tinplate" person on staff that has some factory training,
might have a good idea of what might be wrong. Lionel,like Bachmann prefers to have the model sent back to
the factory for repair/replacement under their warranty rules,both will NOT sell parts to hobby shops
Becoming a Lionel Repair Tech is like getting a Collage Degree now, you must go to THEIR SCHOOL to
get "Certified"!!
Hopefully they can fix the problem,Good Luck !
  by NorthPennLimited

What was the final outcome?

I just bought a FP-7A / FP-7B pair on EBay built by K-Line. They are 10 years old but were never used. Absolute mint condition

I put them on my track, first the A unit, then the A-B units coupled together with the control cable connected between the 2 units and I got zilch. No Sound WHATSOEVER. They run fine, but no sound.

Is this a design flaw by K-Line? I have a 5 year old Lionel transformer. It's only used during Christmas.