• LIRR Assistant Conductor Position?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by jgbond007

Hey guys, just joined the forums since I had a question about the Asst. Conductor position with the LIRR. I just attended the orientation on friday, 6/9/06 and I would say it went pretty well. I am real excited about the position but am very worried about not getting a call back since my credit is not that good. I have 2 credit cards charged off in my past, they have been paid in full but they were charged off. I received these cards when I was only 18 so maybe they will take that into account, I am 23 now. My credit card I have now I pay in a timely fashion and I also pay my school loans back on time as well. Do you guys think I have any chance of being called back? I would hate to study all those signals and defs and not even be called, but I will be studying them just in case. As far as my background check goes, I have NO criminal record and I had a speeding ticket(55 in 40 zone) and an improper turn so I dont think that is too bad.
Any comments would be great.
I apologize about the long post.

by jgbond007

Anyone???
  by jz441

jgbond007 wrote: I am real excited about the position but am very worried about not getting a call back since my credit is not that good. I have 2 credit cards charged off in my past, they have been paid in full but they were charged off. I received these cards when I was only 18 so maybe they will take that into account, I am 23 now. My credit card I have now I pay in a timely fashion and I also pay my school loans back on time as well. Do you guys think I have any chance of being called back?.
Your situation is not what the RR is screening for when running the credit check. If that was the case hardly anyone would qualify for the job. What they are looking for is how people handled finances for their previous employers. This only applies to people who worked in retail, banking, accounting,...etc. They are basically looking to weed out the people who in the past mishandled or pocketed some money.
Don't let this worry you, if you are clean in this area, you are safe. Also, one speeding ticket is nothing. They are looking for the reckless drivers.
Good luck!

I’m not familiar with LIRR,.. Do conductors handle cash fares on board?

by jgbond007

thanks so much for the info, and yes LIRR assistant conductors handle cash fares on board

by jgbond007

I am real excited, I just got a letter in the mail yesterday from the LIRR stating that they want me to go through the next step in the process, Signals and Definitions test, a panel interview and physical agility screening. Has anyone else gone through this, just wondering what the physical agility test is?

by jbav1

Good for you. I had a panel interview and a signal and definition test last week for an LIRR engineer position and was asked to attend a 5 hour class later this month. Study hard and you will do fine. Good Luck

by youngonerr

What kind of questions are asked at a panel interview?
How many definitions and signals do they expect you to know?

by jbav1

Panel interview is a lot of situational questions regarding safety and how you would handle or have handled certain situations. I had to study 10 defs and 9 signals, and needed to know 5 and 5 for the test. Study every free minute and repetition is the way to remember them, it worked for me, someone may have other methods. Do what works for you, my friend used flash cards.