• Lionel HO Veranda Downgraded

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Phil Hom

Kinda sad :( that I waited so long to put somethong like this on display with a chance to operate it in the future on a layout to be built someday. If the DCC master said it's bad, then it's BAD.

by JDFX

Phil,

He didnt say it was bad, just that with the cost of the unit, it should have an 8 wheel drivetrain, and it dosen't.

Of course, that truck burning up bit dosen't help either.

Otherwise the locomotive is a winner, just he won't sell it.

by NYC-BKO

I don't think anyone has to say it is bad, just the description is enough for me, an engine that big that lists for $499 and only has one motor and 4 wheel drive of 8 pulling a tender is a piece of junk in my opinion, Lionel still lives up to their name of selling toys. No wonder a truck failed, too much weight for that! :( :( I'm glad I don't model UP, I would be very disappointed.

by Chuck Walsh

There has been some success stories out there. The question now becomes
what will Lionel do to install modeler confidence.

I remember when the Riv Allegheny came out. One full year unlimited warranty. Just ship it back to Walthers regardless where purchased for an
exchange.

That's the only reason I went back to Riv and the new FEF-3 carries a
two year warranty against defects. Said defects to be either repaired or replaced.

Wonder what the Lionel terms are?
  by denis

What does "some success stories" mean?
I do not have an operating layout (I might finish it before I die), so I have no way of checking my engines, nor of comparing one against another. So, in the box, all of them operate w/o problems .
I bought Lionel's, initial, DC Challenger, at a fair amount of money, although well below MSRP.
There is too much engine there, to start working out operating problems.
Anyone have comments concerning its operation?

by Phil Hom

One of the recent magazine said the tender is creating the drag problem. :)

by Otto Vondrak

Remind me again why I want to buy HO scale model trains from Lionel?

Lionel should stick to what it does best- creating overpriced collectible toys in 1:48.

-otto-

by Xplorer2000

Oops...
Okay , in all fairness, I read the Lionel advertisement at my local hobby store, and it clearlystated only TWO powered trucks., so that should be a surprise to no one. If there IS a problem, then Lionel should fix it under warranty, because if it craps out just hauling its own tender, imagine what happens if you couple it up to a train :P Espescially for what you're paying for them.
On the other hand, I just read the review on the Lionel Challenger in RMC, and they couldn't say enough good things about it. I suspect that this may just be a production glitch with the Turbines. Nobody should panic just yet,but keep it open as an option.....

by jwb1323

I have a feeling there's never been enough of a market for an operating HO turbine to get one that runs as well as, say, an Atlas diesel. My most recent run Overland early turbine doesn't run very well, and doesn't pull as well as diesels, in spite of having all trucks powered. (The Kato/ConCor N turbines only had 2 trucks powered as well, but they run very well). From what I hear, assuming no defects, I would get a Lionel turbine assuming I had the money to spend. I don't see that it would be worse than an Overland in terms of operation, but would only cost 25-30% as much.

by Chuck Walsh

A second power failure has been reported by a modeler on the www.atlasrr.com forum.

The modler's vendor was able to make the necessary adjustment.
So really, there's only one authentic operating failure out there.
Last edited by Chuck Walsh on Sun May 02, 2004 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by steemtrayn

Does this engine have most of it's weight on the powered trucks? Are the unpowered trucks spring- loaded, like the leading and trailing trucks on a steam model?

by Chuck Walsh

The second reported operating failure, and by a modler has been adjusted by the vendor and the unit is back in operation.
That only leaves Tony.