• Life-Like E8/9 small parts popped out of shell

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Ken S.

Looks like I have to retire my Proto 2000 E8 since a couple of the small fans popped out of the shell and one is now lost on top of that. It was a Lackawanna unit from like the 1990s or so.

The shell is also cracked where these parts came out. I really don't want to have to throw this unit out since it's a good runner and the only engine that I can really run with an Amtrak Rainbow Consist.
  by Desertdweller

If you cannot find an aftermarket fan the size you need (these were only made in a couple of sizes: 36" or 48" diameter, try Detail Associates), you could try covering the opening with a winterization hatch. You might be able to cut one from a junk shell.

For the cracked shell, try glueing from the inside with a thin superglue. Let capillary action draw the glue up into the crack from below.

Don't give up!

Les
  by Ken S.

Desertdweller wrote:If you cannot find an aftermarket fan the size you need (these were only made in a couple of sizes: 36" or 48" diameter, try Detail Associates), you could try covering the opening with a winterization hatch. You might be able to cut one from a junk shell.

For the cracked shell, try glueing from the inside with a thin superglue. Let capillary action draw the glue up into the crack from below.

Don't give up!

Les
AFAIK, it came with those installed already. I wouldn't know where to look for replacement parts in my area.
  by green_elite_cab

I think even Cannon may sell the correct fans. Can you post a clear picture of the damage?

I have a similar issue in an old UP SD7. For some reason, the shell split in a straight line between fans, making them very loose.