• Latest Project?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Steve F45

cnj1524 wrote:the atlas trucks are from a trainline GP40
thanks, did you use the athearn worm gears or atlas?
  by cnj1524

I used atlas drive line as they are smooth runners(from trainline)
  by rscott417

Mack MC tractor and box truck kitbashed from Athearn Ford C kits. (HO scale)
  by ApproachMedium

Cool trucks!!!
  by deandremouse

rscott417, those are some really nice trucks! I really like the white cab Mack.

I attempted to start painting my Jamalco GP38-3 not too long ago since I had the time

by timberley

I recently got to work improving my Intermountain HO SD40-2W. IM did a reasonably nice job on this locomotive, but there were some definite areas for improvement. I made several subtle but important changes that make the model closer to the prototype 5250. This included painting the front handrails red and white (same treatment on the rear), as these were black on the model, and painting the ditch light casings red (they're still pretty dull, but I haven't yet taken on the task of replacing them with better ones). I also painted the white grabs on the plow, and added the stripe and red paint over the blower duct that IM left off on the first run. Finally, I corrected the windshield wipers, which intermountain had backwards (they had the larger wipers on the centre window, and the smaller ones on the outside windshield). I reversed them, but had to replace one of the wipers as it broke in the process!

All simple changes, but the look of the model is now considerably better than before. Just a reminder that even very well detailed RTR models can often be made just that next step more prototypical, without having to go crazy with superdetailing.
  by acelaphillies

Let's get this tread rolling again! In it's glory days this was an AWESOME thread. Anybody with me?

I'll get started.

I just recently a River Point Station Ford F-250 pickup truck that I decaled for an Amtrak MOW pickup.

I started out with a River Point Station F-250 in MOW white. I put gloss coat on the model, then I applied custom decals that I made from the Micro-Mark inkjet decal paper. I then applied a satin finish and added license plates printed on copy paper.

For the decals I made the Amtrak logo, the truck number, as well as lettering that reads:

Bear, DE
USDOT240318

This is found on many Amtrak MOW vehicles in the Northeast.

I was happy with the decal paper, except that it seems to be a little thicker than Microscale. Unfortunately, on such a small model the edges stand out a little. I may add some more clearcoat to try to hide this.

Here are additional photos: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjHFVuMV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope you guys enjoy and maybe try this for yourselves. If anyone wants the artwork I would gladly send you the publisher file.
  by scharnhorst

I custom painted and did up a Conrail ALCO RS-3M using Stacks off of an EMD SW9/1200 and 2 36" fans from a GP9 the unit is an older N Scale KATO RS-3 made in the late 80's early 90's.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by scharnhorst on Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by scharnhorst

I did up and custom painted a Conrail ALCO RS-3M using Stacks off of an EMD SW9/1200 and 2 36" fans from a GP9 the unit is an older N Scale KATO RS-3 made in the late 80's early 90's.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by timberley

Let's see if we can once again breathe some life into this thread. Acelaphillies is right, this has been an awesome thread when it was really moving!

I've been up to a LOT since last posting here, but I'll just put up a couple of highlights.

Last year, I finally got around to updating and further detailing my model of VIA 6400 (post-rebuild, pre-wreck), including ditch lights, marker lights, mirrors, bug shields, and some other little tweaks. I think I posted a photo of this unit in its earlier stages back a few years ago on this thread, but now I think it's finally almost "complete".

My pride and joy of last year was my VIA Panorama car, which I kitbashed from a Rapido coach, a Bachmann Ultradome, and a lot of other bits and pieces (many scratchbuilt). It was a LOT of work, and I was quite happy with the finished product. Painting it was the most tedious part of the whole thing. That blotchy green pattern was all masked by hand and then sprayed. Yeah, that was fun :-P

I also had fun with painting a few things. First up is a Walthers ex-MILW VIA Sceneramic dome, heavily weathered as a "coach yard queen" at the end of her service life. The varied tints in the dome windows is deliberate, and was done to match the very common appearance of these cars later in their lives (thanks to different tinting materials being used).

Then a Van Hobbies brass Hawker-Siddeley caboose painted up for the Cape Breton Development Corporation (DEVCO) Railway.

Alright, that gets us through some major work from last year. Now let's get to some more properly "recent" projects. First up, here's a trio of VIA domes on my "workbench" (which at this particular moment happened to be the kitchen table :-P). From front to back, we see Rapido Park Car "Evangeline Park", followed by "Kootenay Park" and a Walthers Skyline (#8512). The Parks have both received modern decals (new VIA logos, flags, Canada wordmark, emergency access labels on windows and roof), and blanked windows as appropriate. They're also in the process of being more thoroughly converted to head-end power. The Skyline has had a lot of work done to it, including exterior details and some new decals, end and underbody HEP detailing, addition of window blinds, blanked windows, and an entirely reconfigured (and painted) interior to better match the prototype. I'll post some good photos of the Skyline itself soon.

And finally, here's a Custom Finishing Trackmobile I'm working on. It's an all-metal (unpowered) kit, and has come together quite well despite needing a lot of work (so much filing!!). I've painted it in safety yellow and added some CN decals and extra safety striping. It's not really specific to any particular prototype. Still needs a flat coat, final assembly, windows, windshield wipers, a beacon and sandpipes. Then she'll be done.

Okay, that's all from me for now. I've got lots of other stuff in the works, so I'll try to keep posting on here more often. Maybe if we can keep the thread up at the top, we can get it back to heyday levels of participation!
  by acelaphillies

Great stuff Timberley! That VIA stuff looks real nice, as well as the trackmobile! I hope that my projects come out that nice. Here are some of my latest projects: NJT P40, Island Modelworks Mulilevels, and a Walthers PRR Interlocking. Come on guys, don't be afraid to share your projects!

First, the NJT P40.

Here are some pictures from a few days ago right before the decals started going on:

Here is the most recent picture:

Check here for more: http://www.acmodels.boards.net/thread/6 ... 40-project" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Next, Island Modelworks Multilevels:

Here are my three Multilevels.

As you can see in this picture, I have begun removing the flash.

A NJT P40 and Multilevels? You guessed it -- I'm working on an ACES train!

Last, but not least, here is my interlocking tower:

Not much right now, but every good building starts with a good foundation! :) I plan to modify it a little to represent an old PRR interlocking tower that is now used as a MOW base for Amtrak crews along the NEC. Real-life examples of this can be found in today's MORRIS or GRUNDY interlocking towers.

If anyone is interested, here is the kit before I did anything to it:

And here is the decal sheet included with it:

I hope you enjoyed looking! Let's see what everyone else has on his workbench!

Daniel
  by ApproachMedium

Daniel, want another P40 to do? lol I have one that someone did a good paint job on the body but it was never decaled and never assembled. I want it gone. lol
  by acelaphillies

ApproachMedium wrote:Daniel, want another P40 to do? lol I have one that someone did a good paint job on the body but it was never decaled and never assembled. I want it gone. lol
Approach, I really appreciate the offer! However, I think 1 P40 is all that I need. Maybe someone else could use it? Or you could sell it on ebay, I'm sure you would have buyers.
  by ApproachMedium

I put it up for sale on here. I only want $20 if that for it. feebay is too cost prohibitive anymore.