Let's see if we can once again breathe some life into this thread. Acelaphillies is right, this has been an awesome thread when it was really moving!
I've been up to a LOT since last posting here, but I'll just put up a couple of highlights.
Last year, I finally got around to updating and further detailing my model of VIA 6400 (post-rebuild, pre-wreck), including ditch lights, marker lights, mirrors, bug shields, and some other little tweaks. I think I posted a photo of this unit in its earlier stages back a few years ago on this thread, but now I think it's finally almost "complete".
My pride and joy of last year was my VIA Panorama car, which I kitbashed from a Rapido coach, a Bachmann Ultradome, and a lot of other bits and pieces (many scratchbuilt). It was a LOT of work, and I was quite happy with the finished product. Painting it was the most tedious part of the whole thing. That blotchy green pattern was all masked by hand and then sprayed. Yeah, that was fun
I also had fun with painting a few things. First up is a Walthers ex-MILW VIA Sceneramic dome, heavily weathered as a "coach yard queen" at the end of her service life. The varied tints in the dome windows is deliberate, and was done to match the very common appearance of these cars later in their lives (thanks to different tinting materials being used).
Then a Van Hobbies brass Hawker-Siddeley caboose painted up for the Cape Breton Development Corporation (DEVCO) Railway.
Alright, that gets us through some major work from last year. Now let's get to some more properly "recent" projects. First up, here's a trio of VIA domes on my "workbench" (which at this particular moment happened to be the kitchen table
). From front to back, we see Rapido Park Car "Evangeline Park", followed by "Kootenay Park" and a Walthers Skyline (#8512). The Parks have both received modern decals (new VIA logos, flags, Canada wordmark, emergency access labels on windows and roof), and blanked windows as appropriate. They're also in the process of being more thoroughly converted to head-end power. The Skyline has had a lot of work done to it, including exterior details and some new decals, end and underbody HEP detailing, addition of window blinds, blanked windows, and an entirely reconfigured (and painted) interior to better match the prototype. I'll post some good photos of the Skyline itself soon.
And finally, here's a Custom Finishing Trackmobile I'm working on. It's an all-metal (unpowered) kit, and has come together quite well despite needing a lot of work (so much filing!!). I've painted it in safety yellow and added some CN decals and extra safety striping. It's not really specific to any particular prototype. Still needs a flat coat, final assembly, windows, windshield wipers, a beacon and sandpipes. Then she'll be done.
Okay, that's all from me for now. I've got lots of other stuff in the works, so I'll try to keep posting on here more often. Maybe if we can keep the thread up at the top, we can get it back to heyday levels of participation!