• K trains

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

what does K stand for on trains: for example:

03/20-1600 E PLANNED K28420 out of selkirk

by clearblock

"K" trains are bulk commodities such as ore or stone but not including grain or coal trains that have their own symbols.

I think K284 may be a trash train.

by trainfreak

The K200 series may be all trash trains. I dont know this for sure but i know the Riverline sees K276, K277, and K279. All those are trash trains.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

thanks guys :-D

matt

by crazy_nip

K are commodity trains

K900 series trains are usually rock, limestone or ballast

K650 series trains are the juice trains

K800 series trains are phosphate trains or molton sulfur

K100 trains are taconite or iron ore

K200 are trash trains

K300 are coke trains

K400 are rock and phosphate

K500 are coil steel or steel loads

K700 are rock trains

by Robert Paniagua

Wow, that's pretty interesting.

I know TV is for the "piggyback" service

and P for Passenger while A is for Amtrak like A449 or A171, or A97

But, what does the Q stand for, like Q589, Q682?

by octr202

Robert Paniagua wrote:Wow, that's pretty interesting.

TV was a Conrail symbol. All CSXT intermodals are in the Q100 series. Q200 are autorack trains, Q300 and up are manifests (I believe corresponding to different regions, or direction of travel).

IIRC, alternate schedules of a Q train will get an L (i.e., Q173's alternate would be L173), and extra sections are an S. Someone would need to verify that though...

by charlie6017

Yep, that's correct.......S is extras and L is for alternates. Many of the "L" series trains are ran on Sundays.

by Robert Paniagua

Thanks Guys, now I finally know what those answers are. Now how about the "B" as in B735, what does that mean?

by octr202

Robert Paniagua wrote:Thanks Guys, now I finally know what those answers are. Now how about the "B" as in B735, what does that mean?
B are locals the division that includes Massachusetts. Locals are A-F, H, J, M, and O (that's all that I've ever heard of). Letter indicates division/service unit/etc.

Check out http://www.bullsheet.com/FreightMenu.html, which I should have referenced the first time, but hey, it was too early on Monday morning to be thinking straight. :wink:

by octr202

Robert Paniagua wrote:Wow, that's pretty interesting.

Missed this one earlier too...but all passenger, including Amtrak, are P symbols on CSXT. Two-digit Amtrak numbers get a 0 added, as in P097 or P089.

Axxx are locals on the Jacksonville Division/Service Lane/whatever its called this year.
  by Robert Paniagua

Thanks again for that stuff, now I finally have the answers cracked to those codes so next time I hear those in my scanner monitor radio, I now will know what it is... P is also used on the NEC as well, such as P2151, P2153, P099 and P174.
  by octr202

Robert Paniagua wrote:Thanks again for that stuff, now I finally have the answers cracked to those codes so next time I hear those in my scanner monitor radio, I now will know what it is... P is also used on the NEC as well, such as P2151, P2153, P099 and P174.
No problem. the first time I learned the CSX system was before the proliferation of railfan web sites with handy listings of the schedules. I still find CSXT to be the easiest to follow/remember, but that just might be since I've been hearing about it since I was about 12. Of course, the Conrail alpha code was even simplier, but the NS system is a total mystery to me!

by VCRail

Just curious OCTR202, is your name related to an RS-2 on a former PA shortline?

by octr202

VCRail wrote:Just curious OCTR202, is your name related to an RS-2 on a former PA shortline?
Yes, it very much is. Family connection.