• Just finishing at NARS, any GCOR, or job advise?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by gojoe19

Hello, everyone.
I'm new to the community. I'm getting ready to begin the final week at the NARS conductor training course, Ive been Studying my a** off for the final test, does anyone have any tips or advise? It would be great to hear from some of you veterens of the trade. Thanks in advance.

by route_rock

Not sure how NARS works. BNSF gives you a sheet with all the rules in order of the test. Study em in order there is your final. Just know your 6.27 6.28 signals Track and Time and lets see you just have Gcor to worry about so TWC CTC and that would be it I do believe ( just took my test last friday got a 97% woooo hooooo)
Now are you coming over to BNSF when done? If so keep your notes cause you will take it again. But you will add in SSI, safety rules and ABTH. Also a seperate class for Hostler and RCO which hte Hostler test is a MUST pass. You get two shots at it if you dont get it on number two well then have fun at another railroad.
Good luck!

by gojoe19

Thanks for the info Route_rock, and congrats on the 97%. I passed the hostler last week and got a certificate so I wont have to do that one for another year, but RCO doesn't transfer over the same way so I'll have to do that one again. The GCOR sounds like one hell of an exam, And we've been ripping through authority, TWC, CTC, reverse movements, and temporary restrictions so fast, i'm a bit concearned I won't retain it.

by Wannertant

gojoe i am going to attend johnson county community college in three weeks. Do you have any advice? Also do you have a job offer before the end of class

by gojoe19

Get prepared to do alot of writing/studying, have a sturdy book bag as you will get several books/binders the first day, be early everyday, and be prepared for change. The instructors are BNSF employees, so sometimes they have other obligations, I have had 5 different instructors in as many weeks, but I think the other classes have not. You will go through class (usually 8am -3:30), then have homework every night except when at the yard, then a quiz on that homework the following day. No one that I know of has a job offer as of yet, they say they ask them not to offer possitions untill after the course is complete to avoid confrontation. Where are you planning to stay?

by Wannertant

i havent decieded yet. any suggestions would be appreciated. i plan on studying my butt off. I was really worried that after going through all of this that i wouldnt get a job. Do they provide interviews while you are at the school? Are you pretty sure that they will hire you after you have completed the school? Just a little scared to spend 6000 on school only to come out with no job. thanks

by gojoe19

Alot of the younger guys stay at the candlewood, which is why I did not. I didn't want to get caught up with the party crowd. The extended stay america is close and from what I hear it costs about 35-40 bucks a night for the JCCC people. They promise an interview with BNSF, and at least for my class, no one else came to interview. No one, especially not me, can say weather or not you'll get hired. There's alot of factors that contribute to that, here are some to consider: First you have to pass the TCAT, there are also vision and hearing requirements, then pass the final exam (GCOR), which is 280 questions and must be passed with at least 90% for BNSF (some other railroads may hire you if you get 85%+), Arrest and driving record are considered, education (h.s or ged min), and of course the need of the railroads(how many needed at each location). They say alot of possitions are due to open up around they first of the year, and that hiring is slow right now because this is the railroads layoff season, I don't know if that is accurate, maybe an old head can confirm or deny that. UP seems to have quite a few positions open listed under train service. The good news? BNSF hires appx. 85% of it's conductor trainee's from NARS and plan to increase that to 100% soon. Why should they spend the money to send employees to NARS if so many of us are willing to spend our own money for the oppertunity? Is it worth it? If I get hired, yes, If not, no. That probably doesn't help you much. Also keep in mind that once you complete the course and get hired, you still have to go through a training process (BNSF is 13 to 15 weeks), and another GCOR test with the same standards, 90%(BNSF) and two attemps, fail and you're terminated. What keeps us going is that if you pass everything, you get a rewarding career. Any other questions? let me know.

by Wannertant

thanks gojoe. only other questions i can think of right now is how many people do they average per class (or how many are in your class)? And out of the items you listed, i noticed that you didnt list work history, (mine is kind of shakey) Do you think that it will be a big factor provided i do well on the tests and everything else is ok? I know you really cant give a straight answer here, just looking for opinions. thanks for all of your help. Also i heard that there is a new hotel that just opened up around there, they said it is a little bit further away. However they said that it was about 159 a week. Have you heard of that one? Also you said younger guys, how old are most of the guys in the class, (im 29)? again thanks for your help.

by gojoe19

Our class is larger than normal with 26 students, and there are three classes, total right now is 92. The instructors have siad they usually get about 12 to 18 per class. I think they take work history into consideration, but I dont know how important it is, alot of the guys/girls here have some shakey things in their past, but they say BNSF can look past alot of it, We'll see. I haven't heard of a new hotel, but if you give me the name I can try to check it out. I'm 31, The age range really varies, most are around our age, but some in my class are fresh out of high school, and some are in their 40's and even lower 50's. Also, I forgot, they do a drug test on the day of the interviews, it's a hair test that checks over the last 90 days, I wouldn't be surprised if a couple people get nailed on that one. Just kidding, the guys in my class are a good group. Also, the instructors have been great, if it's any indication of the calibre of the people in railroading, then I'm in the right place. Anything else let me know, especially when you begin the course, it's definately not what I expected, but it's been a great experience.

by JuKayes

gojoe19,

I'm slated to attend NARS in January, I have some questions for you... You say it's not what you expected, in what way? Was it tougher than you had imagined it would be?

Also what is the breakdown in terms of how much time is in the classroom, how much time in the yard...

I'm really looking forward to this, I expect it to be tough, and I'm geared up to get started.. Just looking for a little detail as to what to expect when I get there...

Also, you mentioned where not to stay... But if you don't mind my asking, where you'd stay... like you, I'd prefer to avoid the party crowd... I worked my tail of to get this chance, and I got one pop at it. I realize you can't rid yourself of every distraction, but the fewer the better. After all, I'm not spending $6K to get up there and screw around...

I got a couple of buddies of mine that hired in off the street with BNSF down here in Houston... Both have already gone thru the 13-week training and are now marked up working.. I tried twice to go that route, but unfortunately didn't get the call.. So after speaking with a Trainmaster at one of the yards here, he suggested I try this route...

I know what to expect from the 13-weeks, if I'm fortunate to get in after completing NARS training. I've gotten the complete picture of what that's all about from the guys I know that just finished it... I'm just looking for an idea of what to expect when I get to NARS.. I appreciate your time in replying if you get the chance...

And likewise, if you got a question or two on the 13-week BNSF training, just ask, or PM me, if I don't have the answer, I'll be happy ask one of my buddies and I'm sure they'll be able to answer it..

One of 'em finished his back in July, the other just got done with his on October 7th, about 3 weeks ago. So it's still pretty fresh with both of them as to what that's all about, and what they went though...

Again I appreciate your time...

by gojoe19

Hey JuKayes, It was tougher than I thought, but I didn't have a base of reference. The instructors go fast and furious to get all the required subjects covered, it's up to you to study and ask questions, and there's alot of material to go over. especialy if you don't have an idea of how railroads function beforehand (like me). I just passed the (GCOR) final yesterday and it was more difficult than I imagined. (Igot a 94% though) on that I would recommend spending as much time as needed to thoroughly understand TWC, ABS, CTC, signals, and the situations that apply to them. You only get one week at the yard, and unfortunatley most of that time is spent waiting for your turn to to do a task. It was a bit excitng to ride the side of a car for the first time even though if we get our way it will become routine. You do one night task at the yard to get an idea of what it's like to use lantern signals, ride cars, couple and uncouple cars, and kick cars at night. I stayed at the Chase suite hotel, I did'nt mention it before because it was more money than I would have liked to have spent, and for those who dont drive here you'd have a hell of a time getting to school each morning(it's about a 15 minute drive). There are better deals around here. Some of the guys brought 5th wheels and stayed in them at RV parks, and one even found a room for rent on craigslist.org. If the people in this forum would like me to, when I get home I could post a class syllabus, and more detailed info on the time line. Feel free to ask any other questions you may have, and good luck.

by route_rock

Ok time to burst a bubble or two ( sorry folks) 85 % is pie in the sky for numbers of nars grads. out of this year only 45 out of over 120+ went to nars and that was because Maytag shut down. Three classes before mine no NARS grads.My class had one and that was because he was moving here from Ohio and was told he had to go to prove he wanted to work here. Class behind me in RCO right now 0 zip nadda nars. This is the last group hired for G town for 2005.
Now BNSF is going 100% nars? who told you this? Just curious as we are only getting about 15 for next year from NARS and the rest off the street.
After NARS you get to go to 15 weeks of our training ( 19 if all the boards are full whcih they are right now) and retake that wonderful test again.UTU has it in the contract that even if you area a working rail transfering over to BNSF from another road you have to take the 15 week class and pass with the 90% and above on the final. Why I dont know just a fail safe I guess or something.
Out here first two weeks was class room and getitng to know equipment. week 3 on the road up to 8. Mid terms were week 8 then on to the road and yard again till week 13 for hostler RCO 14 running the boxes 15 was review and on that glorius friday we take the test.
Check with BNSF about openings, as all our boards are full and only 8 slots left on the switchmans extra board.So that means in round terms 28 people with no board to go to here. Plus they have cut a lot of pools back ( why Ill never know) and even cut some extra boards so who knows my whole class and the ones behind us might be on the reserve board ( not bad at all sit at home and get paid) Good luck guys

by Wannertant

When you give the numbers that you quoted is that just for your yard or is that system wide?

by Wannertant

gojoe congrats on the 94% keep us posted on what happens and if you have any job offers. I am sure i will be asking alot more questions as i get closer to the time of class (nov 14th.)

by gojoe19

The percentages that I quoted were told to us by the assistant dean and later confirmed by BNSF HR people, whether it's fact or fiction I have no idea, I can only go by what I'm told. As for the 15 weeks training after getting hired, I mentioned that in an earlier post, it's 13 weeks for the former santa fe side and 15 weeks for the old BN side. I,m not trying to say that NARS is the way to go, never have. If you read my earlier points, I try to give the up and down sides to the Questions asked, so there is no bubles to be bursted. However, Ido know people who did attend NARS and some who didn't who wanted conductor jobs, and yes a few from galesburg. Of all those people, the ones who completed the training at NARS have jobs with either BNSF or UP, and so far not so fortunate for those who didn't. Thousands of people apply for jobs in the industry, it doesn't hurt to have something that sets you apart from the rest. That isn't to say that it's the only way to go, but it doesn't seem to hurt. Can you anyone say that for the hundreds of people in Galesburg who applied with no railroad background what-so-ever, and after much waiting, still no job? BTW, thanks Wannertant for the kind words, and ask away whenever you're ready.