• Job in Alaska. Live in New Jersey

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by abc8251

I saw the Alaska Railroad is hiring Conductor trainees. I want to apply, but I don't think I'll be taken as a serious applicant living in NJ. Alaska is supposed to be beautiful (though I've never been there :-D ). The pay is over 27 an hour, but you work seasonally at first from May-Oct. Do you think it's a waste applying?
  by DutchRailnut

if you don't apply, its a chance never taken, it could only be a wanted letter and stamp, for trying.
Destiny is hard to predict.
  by 8th Notch

If you are willing to relocate, why not?
  by BR&P

I know nothing about ARR or their hiring practices. But I suggest that during the interview, you ask whether it is possible, during the "off" season, to be assigned to some other non-conductor work on the railroad. That would show them you are serious about wanting to be a permanent member of the team, and if they can do it you will not have to seek other work for that time.

There may be union or corporate reasons why that may not be possible, but it does not hurt to ask the question.
  by Engineer Spike

I have looked on the RRB site, and the ARR link leads to the Alaska Labor Dept., under state jobs. I don't know if there is a residentcy requirement.

When I was in state college my professor used to say. "People ask me where I work, and I say I don't. I have a job with the state."
  by abc8251

BR&P wrote:I know nothing about ARR or their hiring practices. But I suggest that during the interview, you ask whether it is possible, during the "off" season, to be assigned to some other non-conductor work on the railroad. That would show them you are serious about wanting to be a permanent member of the team, and if they can do it you will not have to seek other work for that time.

There may be union or corporate reasons why that may not be possible, but it does not hurt to ask the question.

I was invited to a hiring event next week. I'm excited for it. My main concern is that you only work from May-September until you have enough seniority to work regularly. I'm not sure why it's like that. The railroad operates year round. I asked what you suggested on the phone. They said I would need approval from the CEO for that to happen, and that is highly unlikely. $27.98 an hour is great, but it's only for 4 months.
  by COEN77

Weather would be the main reason for a short season for a new hire. I stated railroading in Ohio off of Lake Erie in 1977. I got furloughed 4 months every winter which would of lasted till I had 10-12 years seniority when there were a lot of retirements. Looking back it would of been 10-12 years. I transferred to another state after 4 years and ended up working year round.
  by BR&P

abc8251 wrote: I was invited to a hiring event next week. I'm excited for it. My main concern is that you only work from May-September until you have enough seniority to work regularly. I'm not sure why it's like that. The railroad operates year round. I asked what you suggested on the phone. They said I would need approval from the CEO for that to happen, and that is highly unlikely. $27.98 an hour is great, but it's only for 4 months.
So how did it go?

Depending on your personal situation and long-term goals, it might be a great chance to get your foot in the door and prove you are a good, hard-working employee. Sometimes if you show you are the type they want to keep, allowances will be made, especially if they don't want to risk losing you to another job if you go back to the lower 48.

And if it does NOT work that way, at least you will have had a hell of an experience and decent pay for 4 months, and nothing will be able to take that away from you. A notch on the belt, a line on the resume, and cash in your pocket, What's not to like?
  by abc8251

BR&P wrote:
abc8251 wrote: I was invited to a hiring event next week. I'm excited for it. My main concern is that you only work from May-September until you have enough seniority to work regularly. I'm not sure why it's like that. The railroad operates year round. I asked what you suggested on the phone. They said I would need approval from the CEO for that to happen, and that is highly unlikely. $27.98 an hour is great, but it's only for 4 months.
So how did it go?

Depending on your personal situation and long-term goals, it might be a great chance to get your foot in the door and prove you are a good, hard-working employee. Sometimes if you show you are the type they want to keep, allowances will be made, especially if they don't want to risk losing you to another job if you go back to the lower 48.

And if it does NOT work that way, at least you will have had a hell of an experience and decent pay for 4 months, and nothing will be able to take that away from you. A notch on the belt, a line on the resume, and cash in your pocket, What's not to like?

It went very well. It started with a short reading test. After passing that (a few people didn't pass), you did a physical test in the yard on the equipment. I personally found that kind of fun, although it was below 0 outside. Next was an interview with 3 people. Everyone was incredibly friendly. Much friendlier experience than NS. I love Alaska! I didn't want to return to NJ actually. They said they'll contact me around the 30th, so my fingers are crossed. The cold will be something I'll have to get used to. I won't have enough seniority to work the passenger trains where you're mainly in a climate controlled environment.
  by matawanaberdeen

abc8251 wrote:
BR&P wrote:
So how did it go?

It went very well. It started with a short reading test. After passing that (a few people didn't pass), you did a physical test in the yard on the equipment. I personally found that kind of fun, although it was below 0 outside. Next was an interview with 3 people. Everyone was incredibly friendly. Much friendlier experience than NS. I love Alaska! I didn't want to return to NJ actually. They said they'll contact me around the 30th, so my fingers are crossed. The cold will be something I'll have to get used to. I won't have enough seniority to work the passenger trains where you're mainly in a climate controlled environment.
Well I think its awesome you are trying for it, and actually going for it. I'm from NJ too so this would be some adventure, and that's how I would look at it. I watch that show "Railroad Alaska" and its fascinating. Its more about the way of life in Alaska and what they call "off gridders", and that is totally fascinating. I'm pulling for you, hope you get it.
  by abc8251

matawanaberdeen wrote:
abc8251 wrote:
BR&P wrote:
So how did it go?

Well I think its awesome you are trying for it, and actually going for it. I'm from NJ too so this would be some adventure, and that's how I would look at it. I watch that show "Railroad Alaska" and its fascinating. Its more about the way of life in Alaska and what they call "off gridders", and that is totally fascinating. I'm pulling for you, hope you get it.

Well, I got the "we're going with other candidates" email today. So I won't be moving to Alaska. At least I heard back from them. I've had interviews where I was never even contacted. I thought my interview went really well too. Railroad hiring is quite strange. I did get offered a Light Rail Vehicle Operator job on the Hudson–Bergen Light Rail. I start training in Jan. I'm also testing with Amtrak next week in DC.
  by BR&P

Just my suggestion: Sen Alaska RR a nice email thanking them for the chance to interview, saying you enjoyed the test and loved the location, and asking them to keep you in mind if anything should change in the future. Who knows - some of their candidates might wash out and not make it, or may back out after they start.
  by Rivetjoint

Just a reminder that there is an Alaska Railroad forum here on Railroad.net. It's not real active but can offer some background for you.