• Is this an old NH line to Lowell, MA?

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by BM6569

I was droving back to maine from CT and got off 495 to grab a bite to eat. The place was off exit 34 ( I believe or maybe exit 33) on the south side of 495 in Chelmsford. I had done this once before I thought I saw some old tracks the last time. I drove around and looked and sure enough I found some. I will add the pictures I took but anyway, it is really grown up with the rails bent (by growing trees), ties buried etc. Some rails have become parts of the trees. If you are heading north towards 495. About 1/2 mile before you get to the entrance ramp, the track can be seen on the right side of the road. It was cut at some point and we followed it from between a strip mall and some baseball diamonds, north towards the 495 ramp. You can also see it if you pull into one of the places on the right side of the road farther up like a mobil station or an oil delivery place. When you get onto 495 east, you can see the tracks to the right of the on ramp and then they disappear behind a mound of dirt. 495 goes over a road and soon after something that is overgrown when you get on going east. I'm not sure if the overgrown thing is the rail line. We tried to follow it on the other side of 495. All we saw for a possibility was an open path where powerlines go which could have been put on the old roadbed.

The track you can see looks like it hasn't been used in 40 years. The dates on the rails are from the teens and 20's. I couldn't remember a B&M line going through this area and I thought I remembered hearing about a NH line to Lowell. If this is that line, are there any other places where the track is in place. The are is so built up, there was no trace of it going south from where the it was visibly cut.

Thanks, Warren

by Rockingham Racer

I know the line you mean, and yes: it was a New Haven branch; can't remember where it ended up, though. I do remember that it crossed a B&M branch at a diamond in Sudbury. We used to follow it for a bit going to my relatives in Southboro.

by paulrail

That was New Haven's branch line to Lowell.

It originally started many years ago in New Bedford and ran up to Framingham and then north to Lowell. It crossed two diamonds;...one at Sudbury, the B&M's Central Mass Brach and the other diamond at West Concord, the B&M's Fitchburg Line. It did a lot of running to the "bleachery" section in Lowell.

Today, the line north of Framingham is gone. The "Wang Towers" in Lowell sit on part of the old RofW.