• Indiana Railroad takes over CP Latta Sub

• Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html
Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

by cw cabin

Found out today that Indiana Railroad has taken over operations effective later this year of the Latta Sub.

by Arborwayfan

This article in the Terre Haute Tribune-Star, 11-9-05, says that CP is selling the Latta Sub to the Indiana Railroad. The trackage rights over CSX to Chicago and Louisville go with it.

http://www.tribstar.com/articles/2005/1 ... e/lb02.txt

There's been more traffic on the line lately. Those coal trains I mentioned in my last post are still running regularly. One consist has INDR power and private hoppers in IPL livery; the other has Indiana Southern power (I think; I usually drive by in a hurry with two kids) and Yankeetown Dock Company hoppers. I guess CPR is leasing foreign power to handle increased traffic, but I don't know for sure.

by cclune

Isn't CP using the NS Chicago Line to haul their freight to Michigan instead of using the Latta Sub? That's what i heard. In fact, I have seen CP intermodal running on the NS (former NYC) on the South Side of Chicago.

by Tadman

two different routes here - latta sub is part of the Chicago-Louisville ex-MILW route, and the actual latta segment is far south in Indiana. On a different note, CP has shifted most of their Toronto-Chicago freight off CSX's former PM line and on to NS's former NYC Chicago line.

by CPSD40-2

Is this the route through New Albany, IN, where the street trackage is? My father grew up on that street, and staying at my Grandparent's house got me started in my love for trains!

I was there a couple years ago, and the tracks and the street were both in much worse condition than I remember.