• If I was a NS manager

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by CP169

I looked at a map of lines in WNY , Pa. and Ohio. Came to this conclusion. If I were NS, I could start running the majority of my trains to Binghamton via the WNYPRR . I could also run Buffalo traffic to Olean and then the Buffalo line. I could sell the Hornell - Buffalo tracks to CP etc. What happens to the NKP-who knows

by SimTrains

Forgive my ignorence, but what line are you talking about when you say WNYPRR ?? The southern tier line??

by joshuahouse

Yeah he does, its the old Erie main to Meadville PA. I'm not sure it would work, but maybe.

by Otto Vondrak

You must be new here, check this site out: http://www.wnyprr.com/

One of the benefits of NS leasing the Southern Tier Extension to LAL/WNYP is that WNYP can secure funding from the state, rehab and maintain the tracks, then NS can exercise trackage rights over a freshly rehabbed road without shelling out all of the expense. Both sides win.

I cant speculate as to future traffic levels regarding NS over the WNYP, but I'm sure that those dark signals will be reactivated sometime in the next five years or so if traffic levels warrant.

-otto-
Last edited by Otto Vondrak on Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

by CP169

Otto you're 100% right. Ya know. it would be nice to see a CTC office in say,Olean. NS could also sell the NKP Erie-Buffalo line to CSX and they could make it a 90 mile controlled siding.

by joshuahouse

Something tells me the feds and the states would never go for selling the NKP track to CSX. After all in theory at least, they're job is to prevent monopolies from forming, and that would deffenently be one.

I would think that there would have to be a lot of work done on the signaling system on the WNYP for it to ever function again. It sat dormant for over a decade or so now right? The way that "collecting" goes on in the railfan hobby these days, with people steeling part off of functioning locos, I would think that theres alot of stuff missing from the signal system.