• Iconic Singapore railway station closes after 79 years

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by David Benton

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/news/a ... d=10735705 .

Singapores station closes . i cant remember it been that grand to be honest , just passing through the steel cages of customs and imigration .
  by george matthews

David Benton wrote:http://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/news/a ... d=10735705 .

Singapores station closes . i cant remember it been that grand to be honest , just passing through the steel cages of customs and immigration .
I had a look at it 25 years ago. I only remember one platform. It seemed to me a standard British colonial station. For example it is not at all like Kuala Lumpur's amazing oriental style (which I have not seen).
  by NellieBly

I missed the Singapore station during a trip down the Malay Peninsula 20 years ago, because I decided to divert to Melaka (from which the Straits take their name), and I finished the trip to Singapore on a bus. I've always been sorry I missed the rail journey from KL to Singapore, and now I'm *really* sorry since the station is out of service.

I found some photos on the Web, and it looks like it had four platform tracks and two platforms. A nice modern "new International" design; the waiting room reminded me a bit of Central Station in Montreal, built around the same time. No, it's nothing like the Moorish fantasy in KL (which by the way is no longer used -- Malaysia built a new KL station -- although trains still pass through it).
  by Gilbert B Norman

It appears that Mr. Benton's "hometown paper" is quick to remove material posted at their site. Under US law, and presumably New Zealand law as well, they are completely within their prerogative to do so. This is why here at the site, there is careful control over pasting material beyond a Brief Passage considered as Fair Use, as doing so obviates the rights-holder's control over such.

Nevertheless, here are photos of the now-closed Singapore railway station:

Google image collection

Here are same for Kuala Lumpur as noted by Ms. Bly:

Google image collection